Sharing internet connection with router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigosdefox

There is a guy im trying to help get his cable internet connection shared between two computers. He says that his cable modem is connected to a router or hub( he wasnt able to specify, he said that it was compaq netilligent or somthing like that) and that that hub/router is connected to both computers through network card but he can only access the internet through one computer. I told him that in order to share the internet connection he needed 2 network cards in the host computer, one connected to the internet and one connected to the second computer.
He said that he recalled that the computers used to share internet connection connected in the say way that they are connected today, having the modem connected to the router/hub and then the two computers connected to the hub. But he said that one of the computers needed to be turned on if the other computer wanted to use the internet. This made me guess that he was sharing the connection with one computer as host and the other as client. But how do you do this only with one network card in the host computer?

Hazarding a guess, I'd say he did it by getting the one 'puter to dial up to the net, and then both could use it...

It should be possible to get the router (if that's what it is) to dial up to the net, and thus letting both 'puters access the net, though it'll have to support cable access...

To fully answer the Q, we'll have to have more info.. About the router/2 cans with string between them/hub, what kind of connection (s)he had before, how he connects now, and last, what systems (s)he's using...

If the first part of this post doesn't make much sense, just answer the latter part... (Of the last 90 hours, I've only slept 12 :()

.02$

He wasnt able to specify what kind of router he was using. He said that it said Compaq netelligent on it.
He said that when he used to share his connection one of the computers had to be on for the other to use the internet. Even though the host computer is not directly connected to the cable modem or to the other computer. The modem, the first computer and the second computer are all conected to the router.

It sounds like he needs to configure his router. My roomates and I have 3 computers connected via a cable modem hub and running through a router, and all the connections are working and fast.

We made subIP addresses for each computer, just to identify them. But the router uses only one IP address so all computer should be able to access the net. So it sounds to me like he needs to read up about his router and modem and tweak it to his liking.

yeah, u dont need 2 network cards in either computer, just 2 total-one per computer. It should go like this WALL-CABLE MODEM-ROUTER/HUB=Computer1+Computer2 If it was a hub, then both computers would be up no problem so im guessing its a router. I'll have to lookup information on the device though so the model number is needed...

If it is a newer Linksys router, the setup is easy. All he has to do is connect everything together first. Here is how to connect everything:

Cable Modem gets plugged in to the WAN port on the back of the router. Then the computers get plugged into ports #1 and #2 on the back of the router. Now everything is plugged in correctly.

Now, if the router is a linksys, here are the instructions. Power up the two computers and pick which one is gonna be the "main" computer. Go on the web and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.1/. A box will come up asking for a username and password. leave the username blank and type admin in the password field. Click okay and the only thing now that needs to be done is to click the advance tab and then click the mac address cloning tab. enter the mac address in that field and click apply. Now its all done. Just reboot both computers and your good to go.

You may need to release and renew the ip address on the "main" computer if the internet doesnt come up.

I hope this help..If your friend doesnt have a Linksys router tell him to get one! Just kidding..You may want to check out speedguide.net and see if there are any how-to's for different cable routers.

A Compaq Netelligent may be a switch.
-So he may want to connect cable modem to 1st PC,via USB if he does not have 2 NIC cards in that PC
-Plug both pc's into switch via ethernetcards
-Run the wizard to share connection(ICS) on that pc, make a workgroup
-run wizard on second to connect via LAN
-*make sure windows firewall is dropped on the internal LAN connections*

This is what I think is happening: That compaq thingy is just a HUB. If it was a router, you wouldnt need one of the computers to be on so the other one have access to the internet...

Most hubs have a direct link between at least two of their plugs. In my encore 8-port hub it's called Uplink. Meaning if you connect the modem to this Uplink and one computer to the first port, that's the same as connecting the modem directly to the computer. The other ports then would put you in network with other computers, meaning the host one could share the connection.

hi

i will assume this is a high speed connection.

i will take for granted it is a HUB and not a router.

I will take for guess your friend is useing XP (if not please tell)

what is need to do the easiest way is.... in XP machine *(call it)* the master and enable it to share internet connection, the wizard works very well if your not into manually configureing your tcp/ip proticals. now the next computer is called the client and will be getting the internet thru the master, on the hub is there an uplink port? plug your in coming connection to this port and the other comps to the other ports. (also) watch for twisted and non-twisted pairs of wires, some networkings need one or the other.

run the network sharing wizard on the master comp and follow all the directions, have a blank floppy disk handy for you will need one to plug into the client to assign the settings that will be copied from the master.

this may help you out in the simpliest ways.

cheers post back if need more

hello my problem is almost the same on what your discussing, but my router's name is EDIMAX! are you familiar with this? me too cannot use my internet connections on my 2 PCs at the same time.
pls help me!
gandah006

Let's start with some basics.

A hub or switch is just an ethernet junction box that sends all data to everything attached to it.
These have a purpose but require manual setups and multiple IP addresses.
THE TYPICAL USER should have at least ONE ROUTER. IMO, I would use a
router for even just one system so as to have the SPI and IDS features
(Stateful Packet Inspection and Intrustion Detection System).

A router has a feature known as NAT (Network Addressing Translation).
wiring your network like modem-->router-->all systems will allow the SINGLE
ip address provided by your ISP to be used by all systems attached to the router :)

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows creates a network like
modem-->systemA-->systemB
Notice: there's only two systems and changing from B->C will not work.
Secondly, for B to get to the Internet, A must be running.
Thirdly, activity on A impacts the thruput seen on B.
IMO, the only neat feature of ICS is that the firewall on A protects B and
B does not require a firewall.
This is not the preferred Internet sharing technique!

thanks for your effort on explaining but can you add some things that is more easier to understand? i do not know anything about sharing an internet connections its my first time to use router and i will really appreciate if you could help me in this matter.how can i configure my router?some said that i need to configure it first?what information do you need about my computer so that i can be specific in that?
thanks a lot and GOD bless you!
gandah006

When you buy a router, it comes with a CD that contains all the information you need. Install the drivers and admin program from the cd. Once that is complete, then connect your router and let your computer do the network wizard for you. After connection, and network wizard have completed, it should add a shortcut icon to your desktop that alllows you to directly connect to your router. Click on it and open it up. you should be prompted for a username and password. If it is new the default username is generally "Admin" and the password is "password" or it is blank. Once in there, then you can configure the router to your specific needs rather it be NAT or Packet forwarding. triggering etc.

oops; router vs modem

This is a good description of a cable modem; not a router :)

A router only has RJ45/ethernet connections; one to the modem and the others
to systems. As such, there is never driver to be installed.

It bothers me that many Modems have a CD with USB connections and thus
need the driver, but the poor user is lead into left field with that package as
even when directly connected to a system, the RJ45/ethernet connection
should be used, NOT THE USB!! :(

gandah006 said:
how can i configure my router?some said that i need to configure it first?what information do you need about my computer so that i can be specific in that?
Ok, First you need to know the default IP address of the router -- it should be
in the documentation with the device. EG: my Netgear default is 192.168.0.1

Second, you config your NIC card to use DHCP for both IP and DNS addresses

Now connect Modem-->router-->system.
the modem is connected to the WAN or upstream slot on the router.
your system(s) connect to any LAN slot.

Now launch a browser and overtype the existing URL with your router's default IP address
(be sure to remove the http:// prefix too)

you should have a user/pwd prompt for the configuration; again it's in the
documentation with the router.

you should change the admin password and save the new configuration!
this will force you to logout and log back into the router.

If you have a Wireless router, then there's more to do else you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back