Soyo K7V Dragon + memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can tell you that soyo is not doing too well in my view right about now. The first board that I ordered was dead, and this board is not recognizing my RAM. I get the memory beep code when I try to boot the computer and then it shuts down.

Soyo K7V Dragon+

2 each 512MB PC 2100 Kingston RAM (Worked with my ASUS A7m266 mainboard an hour ago...

One Gforce4MX card installed

2 HDD's, a CD Burner, and a DVD installed.

Anyone else having problems with this MB? Any suggestions beyond sending it back and telling Soyo to stuff it?

Thanks, Buzz

Well, did you RMA the first board to Soyo and get another one from them? If you did then you may have gotten a remanufactured board from Soyo that is defective.

Also, what did you install when you built it. Start with just the board, memory, cpu/fan , video card. See if it boots or if you get a bios screen. Also, I am not sure on that model, check any jumpers and dip switches, Then check them again, then look in the manual, and check them again. I faut my board for 2 days convinced it was dead when it turned out to be a wrong dip switch. :grinthumb

The problem turned out not to be the memory, but the cpu fan. What the soyo dragon manual didn't say was that you need to have a cpu fan that runs 3,000 or better for the fan off control to work. So I called up Soyo and found out what the problem was. I bought a faster fan only because I had broken the bracket holding my fan to the board. I installed it and everything ran fine. :grinthumb

Look for my other post on a problem that I encountered when trying to load my sound card on that board under XP. I am posting it special in the groups because I think this may be happening to others as well.

Buzz

Originally posted by later2day
The problem turned out not to be the memory, but the cpu fan. What the soyo dragon manual didn't say was that you need to have a cpu fan that runs 3,000 or better for the fan off control to work.
Buzz
That seems like a bizarre requirement, suppose you're water coolong and don't need a CPU fan:confused:

Water Cooling

If you don't use the fan you can hold down the insert key when booting up and then enter the BIOS. Once there disable the fan off control. I only bought the new fan because I broke the clip on my old one. Yes, that was an obscure fix though. I'm just mad that it was not in the manual or in the faq's page on their website.

Buzz

i was having similar problems with my soyo firedragon, but i got a 4800 rpm p4 volcano so i dont think my problem has the same answer. just out of curiousity, what kind of fan are you using now? right now i am desperate. anyways congrats on solving your problem, word on the street is that once you get these mobo's workin, they are great.

CPU Fan

I wish that I could tell you what the brand of my cooler is. I don't know and I just threw out the box about a half hour ago...wait. The bag is still here let me see if it is on top... It is your lucky day, it was right in the top of the bag. I bought the Cooler Master http://www.coolermaster.com/ Model DP5-7H53F-01. They also make their fans for PentiumIV chips as well. Try holding down the insert button. It should work as advertised. I did't have to do that so I cannot tell you. So far my computer is running just fine on the mainboard. Of course I have yet to really test anything, as I am still loading my programs on the damned computer as I had to re-load windows xp all over again. Extremely irritating, but ok considering how much stuff I had loaded on the machine! You know how that goes. This weekend I want to mess a bit with the RAID if I get the chance. I have 2 15GB drives to do it with. I am thinking of loading my RADEON 8500DV All In Wonder card on it and seeing what it does. With my other chipset it gave me fits. (AMD761) What a pain in my backside that was! Good luck with your board!

Buzz:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back