The GeForce4 Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

This is taken from the latest edition of MaximumPC Magazine. (Apr 02)
Geforce4 Ti 4600
300 MHz core
325 MHz memory clock (DDR Sdram)
Retail $400

GeForce4 Ti 4400
300MHz core
275MHz clock
Retail $300

GeForce4 Ti 4200
275MHz core
250MHz clock
Retail $200

Three models of the MX will be available, retailing from $99 -to- $179.

MX 460
300MHz core

MX 440
270MHz core

MX 420
250MHz core

Seems a lot of people are rightly holding off buying a GF4 until the Ti4200 is released, at US$200 that's a very decent card!

I would love some certainty into release dates of the Ti4200, must be mid to late-April.

GeForce4 Ti4600 for $338
by Julio @ 4:56 AM - [Comments]
http://www.3dspotlight.com/
I was browsing through 3DS price guide and noticed this great bargain, so I thought I would share this one with your guys before going to bed, it's almost 5 am here ;).

As you probably know boards based on the new GeForce4 Ti4600 chip are close to the $400 mark, however for some reason PNY boards are selling really cheap and this doesn't seem to be a typo so don't worry about that.

If you are interested, 128mb PNY Verto Ti4600 boards prices are selling for as low as $338 (could be a bit more depending on the merchant you choose) and Ti4400 boards prices start at $255, not bad at all.

G4 TI 4600`

:grinthumb :cool: :p :) heh.. I have the G4 TI 4600 .... I got the money together by selling all my console systems.... And you want to know something I am glad I did it beats them all in any contest..... I have witnessed the full power of the G4 about 4 months ago and desided right there and then what todo to get my hands on one ... it kickes the X-box right in the you know what

Hopefully the Ti4200 knocks the Geforce 4 MX right out of the Nvidia product catalog. Not that its a bad card, but the Ti4200 is almost the same price as the MX and gives the user DX8 support.

Re: G4 TI 4600

Originally posted by Redstar259
:grinthumb :cool: :p :) heh.. I have the G4 TI 4600 .... I got the money together by selling all my console systems.... And you want to know something I am glad I did it beats them all in any contest..... I have witnessed the full power of the G4 about 4 months ago and desided right there and then what todo to get my hands on one ... it kickes the X-box right in the you know what

The GF4 is more powerful than the Xbox but by the time a DX8 game comes out that makes use of the GF4 power, the Xbox 2 will be out and be kicking graphical but everywhere.

Re: G4 TI 4600`

Originally posted by Redstar259

Considering the card was made quite a while after the XBox.

You have to remember that the XBox was designed to run games and graphics at the best it can.

While, our computers were designed to do everything at the best it can.

XBox - Made for gaming.
Has two lines to spread out apon.
Good for gaming.

Notes:
These things last a while...
You don't have to upgrade them at all.
Just buy a new one when it come out, (1 or 2 years later).

General PC - Made for alot of things.
Spread out on everything it can do.
Average for everything.

Notes:
These things do not last a while.
You do have to upgrade them constantly, (in my opinion, depends on what your demands are, but you still have to upgrade it a while).
You may buy a new one later (it also depends on your demands).

In my opinion, I just think the XBox is still better for gaming.
That's why the consoles will never be better than the PCs (gaming wise).

It just depends on how you make your PC perform.

But they both have their ups and downs (I'm not going to say ALL of them..).

Farewell.

:grinthumb

Originally posted by svtcobra
by the time a DX8 game comes out...
While the new issue of MaximumPC (Apr/02) has a 10 page spread on the GeForce4 with raves like...[FONT=arial]
* "You won't see graphics like this on your stinkin' game console!"
* "60 million transistors, two programmable vertex pipelines, & 10GB/sec memory pipeline."
[/FONT] it also includes rants like...[FONT=arial]
* "We Want Our DirectX 8 Games![/FONT]
The GeForce4 includes a 2nd programmable vertex shader, which should double the vertex throughput on games that use DirectX 8.1"
So we wait for Unreal2 & DooM3.

Yeah, I got the mag last week in the mail..I am looking forward to something better than Aqaunox. It seems that max pc is just as anxious as the rest of us. The GF4 may be faster than any gaming console, but with no games out that showcase its visual and speed greatness together in one package its all talk and no walk for the GF4. Its not the GF4's fault. Either these game developers need to get off their butts and get some good DX8 games out to the GF3 & GF4 users or Nvidia needs to start making games (which I think they should).

No GeForce 5!!!

Looks like some of you drooling over a GeForce 4 might want to wait and see what Nvidia has in store for next year.

http://www.viahardware.com

There's a blurb over at Xbit Labs that there will be no "GeForce5", but a new technology and a new name.

What this immediately brings to mind is that the next generation of GeForce is supposedly the first to employ technology purchased by NVIDIA from 3dfx. Certainly it wouldn't be suprising to see NVIDIA attempt to resurect the Voodoo name in some form.

Even now, I'm honestly not sure that NVIDIA has the attachment to the 3D community that 3dfx did. That's not to say the company doesn't make a good product--I've always been impressed by every generation of GeForce card (the GF4 MX notwithstanding), but I've never gotten excited about a GeForce the way I did about the Voodoo.

And from xbitlabs:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1017201913

NV News with reference to "Maximum PC" magazine announced that the next graphics chip from NVIDIA, which should be announced in the coming autumn would have no "magic" GeForce abbreviation any more. This chip is expected to be based on some totally new architecture and will not be a light modification of the contemporary NVIDIA chips (just as it happened to TNT/TNT 2, GeForce256/GeForce2 GTS and GeForce3/4).

I prefer to refrain from detailed comments this time. Frankly speaking, I believe that itÂ’s high time for the chip developers to introduce something brand new, because the current way they are going (frequency increase + more memory) seems to be a deadlock. Well, letÂ’s wait and see what comes...

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
No GeForce 5!
yea, I read a blurb @ Anand's I think. But I wouldn't look for any major breakthroughs The critics are quoted as saying, ' The GeF4 is just a GeF3 on steroids." I think they're trying to make a less expensive chip work better. Already own the high-end market.
http://www.maximumpc.com/

Well, with NVidia's good FPS and 3DFX's good image quality, I think it'll turn out pretty well.

That's basically all I have to say.

:grinthumb

From the benchmarks I've been seeing that's a whole lot of steriods!!! ;)

I think I'm going to invest in an ATI for know, and see what Nvidia has in store later.

http://www.pcvsconsole.com/

The following generation includes NV30 (GeForce5), R300 (Radeon3), PowerVR5. NV30 and R300 are both DirectX 9 parts. They will feature capabilities that Xbox xGPU will not have. These two chips will also pack substantially higher polygons rates and bandwidth than Xbox. PowerVR5 specifications are not known at all yet. My guess would be it would at least include DX8 Shaders and have performance slightly better than Xbox, but perhaps considerably better if STMicro chooses to compete in the high-end gaming chip market.

NV30 estimated time of arrival = Fall 2002
R300 estimated time of arrival = Fall 2002
PVR5 estimated time of arrival = Fall 2002

p.s. in the near future, you'll have a better chance of selling a used GeF4mx than a ATI, for your next vid-card purchase.

Fall!!! Wow, sooner that I expected. Hmm...maybe I need to hold off for a bit on a new card then. I wouldn't guess there would be any early price specs? ;) Just Kidding of course, I can't imagine there would, but who knows.

Originally posted by uncleel
I wouldn't look for any major breakthroughs (NV30) I think they're (nVidia) trying to make a less expensive chip work better.
I've read no rumors of a breakthrough technology.
nVidia owns the high-end now w/ no competitior in sight.
So businesswise it would be smart of them to expand their base w/ a less expensive chip for budget cards. (not to mention all the consules) ;)

You might be right, but the appealing thing about the ATI 8500DV card that I want is that fact that I can watch TV through transparent windows with the software that comes with the card. I find this to be an extremely useful feature. (I watch too many movies and whatnot I know :) )

Also the ability to record live tv and all the other goodies that come with the ATI card, I find very appealing.

Do you know of anything Nvidia has that might compare to this??? I've asked around here in the forums, but gotten no responses.

Nope, but I sincerely hope ATi does well w/ that technology. I don't want nVidia to be a monopoly. That's a smart business move to appeal to non-gamers & other interests.

I hope that nvidia uses 3dfx's excellent AA technology. I am definately going to wait till the fall to see what Nvidia releases next. If I buy a GF4 now I'll be kicking myself wishing I waited. Plus, I will get close to 2 years out of my GF3 which is really good.

Agreed uncleel, noone will benefit from a monopoly.

I do hope Nvidia uses 3dfx's technology wisely, I'm already eager to see what their going to bring to the table.

We Want Our DirectX 8 Games!

Originally posted by svtcobra
If I buy a GF4 now I'll be kicking myself wishing I waited.
I think the MX would be a safe bet then. Just the problem playing DirectX 8, but those games won't be out to the fall either.

p.s. I waited for V5-6000 :(

Re: We Want Our DirectX 8 Games!

Originally posted by uncleel
I think the MX would be a safe bet then. Just the problem playing DirectX 8, but those games won't be out to the fall either.

p.s. I waited for V5-6000 :(

I was gonna wait for a V5-6000 as well!!!

If I had to get a GF4 for whatever reason, I would get the 4200. DX8 support and only 20 bucks more than the MX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back