Deleting files under ms-dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigosdefox

Does anybody know what is the command to delete single files under ms-dos. I know the deltree command for deleting the contents of a whole folder but i tried using del "nameoffile" and it says that the file is not found even thought im using the exact same filename that is listed in the ms-dos window.

Try this in MS-DOS mode:

DEL (ERASE) [d:][path]filename [/P]

Deletes (erases) files from disk.

Hope this helps!!! :) If not then please post back.

You must remember that DOS doesn't support long filenames
(that is pure DOS, not the command prompt window).
Filenames containing blanks must be quoted.
Try using the 'dir' command first to check out the DOS file names.
Also, DOS won't delete hidden files, you have to unhide them first.

Try using 'dir' with /p and /w options.
To change file attributes, you have the 'attrib' command.
Use the 'help' command (if installed) and '/?' command line switch to get help on specific command.

My mistake, I didnt read the filename correctly so I couldnt delete, I had to delete this file which was a partial video file that I downloaded which had a *.av extention, If I tried to modify it in any way under windows explorer, or right click on it or use file/delete.. etc. I imediately got an error message on a certain .dll. Strange

IMO, the file is still being locked/used by the particular dll. What program did you use to d/l the file?

IMO= In My Opinion

You been seeing all the crazy adware Kazaa has in it???

By John Borland
Special to ZDNet News
April 2, 2002, 4:30 AM PT
http://www.warp2search.com/
A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of its own.
Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.

The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other companies' complicated computing tasks.

Here is a version without the Ads:

http://www.kazaalite.tk/

Thanks Il check it out. I notice that Kazaa slows down my computer much more than the old Morpheus (before it became Gnutella) did. My guess is that this is partly because all of the adware and spyware it installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back