Guidelines for Posting News

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

Learn from the example of how news is posted on http://www.3dspotlight.com/
Source, byline & author should be quoted.

When quoting 3DS
Friday, March 22 2002 News
Hello WinXP SE: Microsoft reshuffles roadmaps
by Julio @ 1:25 PM - [Comments]

Microsoft has reshuffled its roadmaps once again, and begun briefing partners and customers to expect an interim upgrade to Windows XP, dubbed XP "SE", in the first quarter of next year.

This buys more time for the Longhorn team to complete the complex task of implementing a native database file store, which Jon Honeyball first revealed to the world at The Register, last August.

XP SE will be principally a consolidation release. Candidates for inclusion are the essential .NET client-side plumbing: the common language runtime (CLR), Internet Explorer 7.0 and DirectX 9.0, and a mature Bluetooth stack. Microsoft has blown hot and cold on Bluetooth - mostly cold, actually - but with chipsets at the $5 mark, it's going to be ubiquitious in PDAs and phones by 2003.

More details at The Register. http://www.theregus.com/content/4/24406.html

When quoting another site
Hello WinXP SE: Microsoft reshuffles roadmaps, again
By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
Posted: 03/22/2002 at 03:20 EST

http://www.theregus.com/content/4/24406.html
Exclusive: Microsoft has reshuffled its roadmaps once again, and begun briefing partners and customers to expect an interim upgrade to Windows XP, dubbed XP "SE", in the first quarter of next year.
(etc. etc.)

P.S. When updating news, add to the previous news story, as exampled here. ( thread runs from 03-05-2002 -to- 04-13-2002)
Got News? > Thoroughbred out on the 20th of March
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=376

Well said Unk...

Guys, we dont want any issues with plagarism even if its by mistake. This has been a big issue in the past with some other sites and we dont want it to happen around here.

Thanks for taking the time to properly format your news posts and give proper credit to where it is due. When posting here in the Got News? forum, pretend that its going on the front page and be careful with the way its formatted and quoted.

Thanks svtcobra, That answers some of my questions. I was wondering if we should credit like that. Will try to do it that way in the future. :)

Source your news.

Sourcing is very important. As I mentioned in another post, there was a *famous lawsuit in Calif. regarding a political forum & news reposts. "Give credit where credit is due."

Double check your sources! Articles from sources like the Inquirer, Register, Onion, SlackerCentral, & others should be taken w/ a grain of salt. You notice how many times they print retractions in their haste to get the news out. The last two use tongue in cheek humor & parody.

As an example; Bill Gates selling 21 million shares of stock hardly raised an eyebrow on Wall Street, but was seen as a sign of impeding doom or conspiracy by the Inquirer. What if people got scared & sold all your stock from a false new alert?

* http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15231

NO Full Text Reprints

Originally posted by uncleel
Sourcing is very important. As I mentioned in another post, there was a famous lawsuit in Calif. regarding a political Forum & news reposts.

IMPORTANT:

This suit was about using Full Text Posts, *copyrights®, & fair use.
[FONT=arial]
Important Legal Notice: Free Republic has been enjoined from allowing users to post full text articles from the Los Angeles Times (LAT) and Washington Post (WP).

Please do not post full text from these sources until and unless we can get this order overturned on appeal. Any full text articles from LAT or WP will be deleted in compliance with this court order. Read about our struggles with the major media here. A copy of the Final Judgment may be found here. A copy of the Summary Judgment, including the Court's discussion of fair use, may be found here www.FreeRepublic.com[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] [/FONT]
I'm sure politics had alot to do with this. However, the courts did establish a precedent that a forum could be stopped from Re-Posting an article in it's full text.

* Copyright® is the legal right granted to an author for exclusive publication, production, sale, or distribution of a work.

Thanks for the important info Unc. I'm sure everyone will keep that in mind when quoting other sources.

Thanks again!

You can never have enough attention to detail.

Thanks for your support & understanding. Some have commented that they thought I was too concerned, too strict, & acting like an authoritarian.

Words Mean Things!
Going to court is not a pleasant thing.
I've have been in that unpleasant situation. In my personal work experience; five years ago my former employer sued my current employer, (us individually & as well as corporation) as we had left them to form our own LLC.) Rather than bore you with all the details, let me cut to the chase.

Two years ago that very company lost a state bid totally ten's of thousands of dollars, although they were the lowest bidder! Simply "they" did not following the Rules, Regulations, & bid Specifications, which was enough for us to pick up the contracts, as the second lowest bidder. You can never have enough attention to detail. Words Mean Things!
So that might provide you w/ some insight of why "I am what I am" & why I think as I do.

Sad to say I was one of them :eek: But I understand what you're doing now as these things are really detrimental to anyone and everyone who is involved.

PLEASE POST ONLY GENUINE NEWS IN THIS FORUM PLEASE. LIKE NEWS YOU COULD GET ON THE TV OR RADIO, ETC.

ANY PERSONAL NEWS (ITS MY BIRTHDAY, ETC) PLEASE KEEP TO "THE MEETING PLACE."

Originally posted by Phantasm66
PLEASE POST ONLY GENUINE NEWS IN THIS FORUM PLEASE. LIKE NEWS YOU COULD GET ON THE TV OR RADIO, ETC.

ANY PERSONAL NEWS (ITS MY BIRTHDAY, ETC) PLEASE KEEP TO "THE MEETING PLACE."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHANTASM!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back