Tweak your monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

TweakHardware as an article on how you can tweak your monitor:

Older monitors may have difficulty delivering a bright image and showing a pure white color. Many monitors cannot deliver enough light to show a decent image even if you use the button on the front of the monitor to adjust the brightness (the ☼ button). This can make it very difficult to play some games, like Counter Strike, in which some of the maps are on dimly lit places.

The short version on the modification:
The trick is to open the monitor and locate 2 specific potentiometers inside. Once located, you can adjust the focus and the brightness of the monitor with a simple screwdriver.

Full article:
http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/tweakmonitor/

Looks simple enuf although I don't have enuf guts to pry open my 19" even though I'm quite sure it's my GF2MX which is causing all the blurriness at resolutions >1024x768

Lokem, nothing against your post first all.

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS MOD UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAINED TECHNICIAN IN THIS FIELD.

Monitors can kill you if you are not careful. There are capacitors inside that can light up a small neighborhood for about 3 seconds. This is when the monitor is unplugged! The capacitors store energy and need to be properly discharged before tampering around with. I wouldnt suggest a mod of this nature to anyone.

Seconded.
Monitors and tvs are items where I actually heed the warning not to open unless trained technician. I would not try this at home as it can be very dangerous.

Ooops.. Sorry guys. Forgot to put a disclaimer there for this article! Anyway, I second that as well!

And third, just in case you didn't read the first two warnings.....

DO NOT TAKE YOUR MONITOR APART UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAINED TECHNICIAN....PERIOD....JUST PUT THE SCREWDRIVER DOWN AND WALK AWAY.....DO IT...DO IT.....SEVERE ELECTRICAL SHOCK IS INEVITABLE......LISTEN TO US ALLLLLLL.....

Sorry for the yelling, some people won't listen unless you yell....

Yeah, experienced workman speaking (ok, writing) here.. I got 25 kV from a monitor some years ago. I haven't forgotten that ;). But I got it adjusted, image size, position and brightness :haha:
Now I have a new monitor and I'm not opening this until I've tried everything else. About 3 years warranty left..

there is a guy at my work who has worked there for 25 years, and about 7 years ago (he claims) he was working on a montor which had been unplugged for some time and he got a VERY nasty shock.....

please play carefully, kiddies.... I don't want to be visiting any of you in hospital..... :(

Originally posted by Phantasm66
there is a guy at my work who has worked there for 25 years, and about 7 years ago (he claims) he was working on a montor which had been unplugged for some time and he got a VERY nasty shock.....

please play carefully, kiddies.... I don't want to be visiting any of you in hospital..... :(

Geeez... If that could happen to a person with soo much experience, I can't imagine what will happen to us normal "modders" :( Anyway, how much charge does the monitor hold anyway?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Yep, the monitor that shocked me was unplugged, too. It takes quite a long time for the tube & capacitors to discharge, up to a month! It can be helped, of course ;)

Originally posted by lokem
how much charge does the monitor hold anyway?
Capacitors that are connected to mains - some of them are as large as 1,000 uF charged to 160 V - about 13 watts. The energy stored in high voltage capacitor (the one that connects to the flyback transformer) is about 1 W. Not much but you will feel it, and it may cause you to hit your head to a wall or something, resulting in more damage.

This is the PC component which i fear most. You get nasty shocks it you open it. It's pity still some people are unaware of this.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Capacitors that are connected to mains - some of them are as large as 1,000 uF charged to 160 V - about 13 watts. The energy stored in high voltage capacitor (the one that connects to the flyback transformer) is about 1 W. Not much but you will feel it, and it may cause you to hit your head to a wall or something, resulting in more damage.

Hrm, I might add that I'm trying to repair four dead TV's I've gotten from friends and whatever, yea well the biggest capacitors in there are rated at 400volts!

This goes for the powersupply in your computer also, 400v there to...

So yes, if you aren't a trained professional you really shouldn't be in there (unless you enjoy pain...)

I might also add another point so you understand exactly how much power we are talking about, a few years ago I was with my father whom is an electrician, he was working on a 380v fuse box outside, it was also raining and we where standing in a pool of water.

He told me to help him unscrew one of the screws, I slipped and got 380v straight through my body and out through the feet, well this wasen't very plesant at all as you can get, well end of that story.

Now barley a year ago I was trying to fix an old AT 135w powersupply, I didn't have any fan inside it so I didn't know if it was on, but since the cover was of and it had been on for almost then minutes I figured I could touch the heatsink to see if it was hot, well, that I really shouldn't have done, the even more stupid thing is that I was holding in the frame of the PSU so I was grounded, well there was a short in the heatsink, the power travelled right from my left to my right arm, it was the worst feeling I've ever had I could literally feel how the current flowed through my body, and the bones in my shoulder became warm (they worked like two big resistances), when I finally got loose I couldn't move for a few seconds, then my dad came up and wondered what had happened, he was in the basement two floors below and could clearly hear me shout...
This is the clearly worst electrical shock I've ever gotten, I measured with a volt-meter and it "only" showed 115volts.

Compared to the 380v shock I got this was about 200 times worse, and touching a 220volt power chord I do quite often (I'm not very careful) but that only tickles a bit, it actually doesn't feel "bad" to touch it...

Well that's my essay for the day;)

Originally posted by Per Hansson
Hrm, I might add that I'm trying to repair four dead TV's I've gotten from friends and whatever, yea well the biggest capacitors in there are rated at 400volts!

This goes for the powersupply in your computer also, 400v there to...
True, in these countries using 230v, capacitors are usually 400v. They're always large enough to cope with mains power.
I slipped and got 380v straight through my body and out through the feet, well this wasen't very plesant at all as you can get
It's not the voltage that hurts, it's the power. So, with fuses being, say, 20A, it might tickle a bit :haha:

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
It's not the voltage that hurts, it's the power. So, with fuses being, say, 20A, it might tickle a bit :haha:
Well I think they infact where around 20a...

And sure, touching our horses (is it called fence?) which runs at 5000volts also only tickles a bit since the ampere is very low...

Ya Per Hansson I was just going to say....it's the Amps that count and NOT only the voltage.
Unless you have a weak heart an unplugged
monitor will have a hard time killing you! - painfull - oh yes! but not deadly ;)

its ok guys, i opened my monitor about a year ago, started a small fire, and blew fuses in all the house, and aside from the massive amount of electricity which killed 80% of my braincells i am performing decently, actually good as new... lol

Brighter screens with software

If you are looking for brighter/ more vivid screens: Download 'Riva Tuner' & click on the monitor icon in 'customize' under 'driver' & turn the 'Digital Vibrance' slider up. :grinthumb

You'll see colors & objects that you never noticed/could see in games & the like. I know it works on the GF2's & higher. www.guru3d.com has 'Riva'. :D

Hope this helps & don't EVER open the monitor up > take it to a shop! :eek:

ok well now that every one knows on how not to get your self killed from a computer montor does any one else have any thoughts on how to make the screen of your computer any brighter with out having to open the case of the montor????:confused:

Most graphics card drivers have some sort of gamma, brightness & contrast options. Some monitors also allow adjusting video signal level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back