New BeOS Developers Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

It seems there is a new version of BeOS for download although it is a developers edition.

http://www.beosonline.com/index.php?seite=english&PHPSESSID=3d8ccc7c4ea70aa0fd08fe3ac3e6067c

The BeOS offers a new level of price-performance, and a dramatic reduction in the complexity of software development. It is a modern, multithreaded, symmetric multiprocessing true multitasing, protected memory OS with a 64-bit journaling file system delivering the performance required for multimedia applications. The BeOS offers unprecedented user responsiveness, enabling real-time manipulation and feedback capabilities in your applications.

You develop for the BeOS in C++ using a powerful Object Framework API that gives you a rich set of user interface, 3D, I/O, sound and other widgets. In those instances when the API doesn´t give you what you need it´s easy to inherit and voerride to make what you´re looking for.

BeOS is not backward compatible, ist doesn´t support twenty-year-old ideas. But for users involved in digital design, and who need more power than today´s operating-systems can deliver, and for developers who are building the tools these people use, the BeOS represents a new field in which to lay down fresh tracks

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Supported by how? Be, Inc. won't support it but you can ask if you have problems :)
Or check from The BeOS Tip Server.

Should have thought so :D Makes me wonder why they bothered releasing a developer's edition if they don't plan to support it :D

I got my hands on the Be Dev. Edition. And in all respects works as well if not better than the pro version. With a little coersion I managed to burn the images to a cd and was installing it on its own partition.
Basicly all BeOSonline.com did was take the Be Personal Edition and put in the things that should of been there to begin with. New drivers, new programs, IDE inviroments, that list keeps going and going. You can think of this as Free Be Pro. :)
As for supporting this release/upgrade. Well as you all know Be Inc. is belly up, and our beloved OS is now kin to the Open Source projects. So as one of the previous post above states, BeTip Server is your best bet for support at this time. Local forums and such are a sure fire source of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back