Different RAID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Hey all,

I have set up a RAID array on my computer. I have 2 IBM 40 gig drives running in RAID 0, they are both on separate channels, IE, one is primary on ide 3 (raid channel) and one on ide 4 (raid channel), My question is, I also have another 40 gig drive that has all my windows and stuff on it as it was BEFORE I set up the other drives as raid. Now can I put them on the cable as the secondary slave on either ide 3 or 4, or should I put it on another channel alltogether, like with my CD-RW ? Does it matter ??

Plugging your other drive into another IDE channel altogether is no problem. I don't know for sure, but you should be able to plug it in as a slave drive also, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have an extra IDE channel open because slave drives are slower than primary drives.

I have a similar setup, but with 60GB hard drives and have had no problems installing extra hard drives. Hope this helps, post back if you have other questions :)

I would stick it on another channel entirely, that way you don't risk bandwidth contention when u start copying files between the drives - Particularly if you have an onboard raid controller.

Thanks for the imput guys, yes I do have an onboard raid controller, I will prolly just stick it on one of the CD channels to transfer what I want, It is gonna be mainly for storage anyway, like all the stuff I download and my MP3's....Again thanks.

Just curious Boeingfixer, but what kind of cluster sizes did you use to make the raid array? I'm about to reformat and optimize my raid so I was just wondering what worked best for you...

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Just curious Boeingfixer, but what kind of cluster sizes did you use to make the raid array? I'm about to reformat and optimize my raid so I was just wondering what worked best for you...

I believe I used 64 for the cluster size...I will run it again tomorrow moring and tell you what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back