3DS Competition prize: P4 1.6a running at 2.2Ghz. With what cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

Just out of interest I thought I would ask this as my 1.4Ghz Athlon at 1.5Ghz with a Y-Tech 4000 rpm fan is reasonably loud. I wouldn't like to consider the noise necessary to overclock a chip from 1.6Ghz to 2.2Ghz with air cooling (600Mhz!!). I used to have Delta Fan on my SK6 heatsink but it was unbearable and I seem to get loaded temps of about 40 degrees celcius with the lower specification fan so I am ok with my 100Mhz overclock (via 133 fsb -> 143 fsb, A7M266 doesn't have multiplier dip switches or bios settings).

One reason I have always considered Intel CPU as an alternative to my beloved AMD chip is the ability to run cooler and therefore require a less deafening HSF.

So does anyone currently have a P4 overclocked significantly (Particularly the "a" northwoods) and can provide any information about the cooling that they need?

Most of the posts I've seen, pple are using air cooling with even the stock HSF!!! This isn't really surprising since the Northwood core is capable in running up to speeds of >2.2Ghz

I was kinda wondering the same. I checked Azzo's site but I didnt seem anything about the cooling.

Yes thanks Lokem.
That was a brilliant read.
From http://www.overclockers.com/tips828/ :
Even if the wattage numbers aren't exactly right, throwing a lot of voltage at one of these Northwoods cranks up the wattage to AMD levels. While Intel has made more provision for this than AMD (heatspreaders, functional thermal throttling and shutdowns), it seems likely that at least later generations of overclocked Northwood will require AMD-style cooling.

It runs safely, even when using the in-a-box HSF (I've gotten a max. 68°C at 2.4 GHz with it).

That is about the most appealling P4 I have seen - 2.4Ghz from a 1.6Ghz, with STOCK cooling. Is the 2.2Ghz model as O/Cable. What would we get then 3.3Ghz? Are there any P4 SMP boards out, as soon I plan on upgrading my rig (Dual PIII 850s @ 1Ghz).

From Lokem's second link: Intel P4A 2.2Ghz@3.808Ghz using LN2 cooling though :(
P42200@3809.gif

Not a problem Arris. I'm amazed that the P4s can handle up to 68c. A friend of mine is complaining that his P4 1.8 hangs in the office if they turn the air cond off. Weird...

Originally posted by lokem
Not a problem Arris. I'm amazed that the P4s can handle up to 68c. A friend of mine is complaining that his P4 1.8 hangs in the office if they turn the air cond off. Weird...

P4 1.8a? Or original P4. The 0.13 core size difference should make quite a difference.

I thought for a minute it was an original P4 but actually it says its a Northwood. The 2.2A must just be a better fabrication of the 1.6A. So I suppose its unreasonable to expect the same increase again from the 2.2A as the 1.6A.

So I suppose its unreasonable to expect the same increase again from the 2.2A as the 1.6A.

It's reasonable unless the limit of the 0.13 process CPUS are reached by OC-ing the 2.2A.

Anyone knows the limit with basic cooling?

A huge thread with loads of OCers has been started at Anandtech here.
1.8a seems to be the recommendation for best overclock for money anyway as you won't have to overclock memory as far to get to 2.4Ghz (or even further...)

Originally posted by lokem

Hey Lokum,

Mabee he needs to clean all the dust and dirt out of the computer, the blades on the fan may be getting quite clogged and the drop in room temp may be all it takes to start to overheat. I have changed fans before that wouldn't spin at full speed cause of dust, dirt and gunk in the blades and heatsinks.

Just a thought

Hmmm...well I would be happy with any P4, seeing as though they all cost upwards of 350 dollars or much more depending on what you get. I think I could afford an extra 30 bucks to slap a quality heatsink on there! :)

Good Luck to whomever is lucky enough to win this baby!!!

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Hmmm...well I would be happy with any P4, seeing as though they all cost upwards of 350 dollars or much more depending on what you get. I think I could afford an extra 30 bucks to slap a quality heatsink on there! :)

Good Luck to whomever is lucky enough to win this baby!!!

Agreed. Just checked the price list for the Athlons. After the 1700+, the prices shoot up REALLY high. Dunno what's up with that.

Maybe AMD is looking for some credibility. I read a Tom's article not too long ago where he critized AMD for not raising prices and gaining more respect in the market.

There isn't much difference in speed anyway between the 1700 and 2100 so I won't spend the extra 200 dollars for a 2000, the performance gains just arn't worth it.

I'm happy with where AMD is at and where they're going, so I hope they don't get cocky and raise prices to Intel's level of adsurdity!!!

Cheetah, with you currently running a 1.4 T-Bird, do you find it necessary to upgrade to the XP processor? If you go with a 1700+ your actual clock speed is 1.47mhz I believe. Do you think there is enough "technology" in the XP CPU to warrant the new purchase?

Im trying to justify it myself. I dont know if its worth going from a 1.33 T-Bird to a 1800+ CPU for 160.00.

svtcobra:

I am currently running a 1.4Ghz Athlon C@1.5Ghz(143 fsb) and don't feel that the peformance boost warrants the cost of a new CPU. Sure the pre-fetch is nice and everything. Unless your going to overclock the 1800+ I wouldn't get it. I myself am waiting for one of two things:
  • The launch of the Thoroughbred and proof of it being very overclockable like the 0.13 Intel Northwoods
  • AMD Hammer or other 64bit processor and then upgrading the whole platform
I think Uncleel has the same thoughts on this. Sure its nice to have more performance, but do you really need it?
What do you do with your rig that requires it? ;)
If you have the cash lying about and have nothing better to do with it then go ahead. Also if you wait for the Thoroughbred but don't want to pay the premium prices for it, it should at least cause the 0.18 Palomino XPs to drop in price...
I know what its like to itch to see what your machine can do with a little more power but I would really advise trying to hold off a little longer....

I have to agree with Arris on this one. I don't think the price for the current XP's are worth upgrading just for an extra 100 megahertz. Personally, I'm going to wait for the Clawhammers to come out later this year before I upgrade, and get me a 64 bit processor :)

It's like Arris says, if you have plenty of money then go for it, but if not then I would definitely hold out for another month at least until the Throughbreds come out at the end of this month.

Plus, upgrading to an XP processor will not make a noticeable difference in performance for you nor I. Sure I would like to see higher benchmarks, but not for the extra 200 dollars I would have to spend for them. My advice, stick with what you have for another couple of months and then see where AMD is with the Throughbreds and Clawhammers!!!

I'm attempting to save the 38mb high quality one to my computer now :)
Can't be much to the overclock if its just air cooling thats involved.
I'm still going to check it out. Nice find :grinthumb

Thanks Super, I just downloaded and watched it too, I even learned a few things I didn't know. Now I wish that Athlon boards had the fancy heatsink clip. Taking on and off an Athlon one is something that keeps me on edge every time I do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back