Speakers, Klipsch, Altec, Logitech

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Speakers, Klipsch, Altec, Logitech, what do you guys think for a set of speakers..

Hey gang,

I currently have a set of Altec lansing 3 pc. 2.1 speaker setup, I like them but have been thinking of upgrading to a 4.1 system.

What kind of speakers do you use and do you like them.

I have been thinking of Klipsch Pro Media, A better set of what I have, or the new Logitech 4.1 or 5.1.

Any suggestions ??

I edited the title and made this post a sticky for all users to use as a point of reference.---svtcobra

a question right up my alley..Since I think I have enough income to buy anything (which I totally dont!) I bought the Klipsch Pro Media 4.1's last year. I will tell you right now that they are garbage in my opinion. I know every website in the world loves them and so would you if you were given a free set to test and review. But I "bought" mine for 250.00 or so. I am so glad for Ebay because it is a real dumping ground for me sometimes. These speakers were just awful. The bass was way too much, the voicing was decent at best and the speakers were very poorly constructed. The Klipsch emblem fell off the subwoofer and the volume pod totally broke. There was something wrong with the surround sound control and only the left rear speaker would work unless I wiggled the surround knob. Getting back to the sound, it was just awful. Very muddy and not natural at all sounding. The only good thing about the speakers was the volume. Although they sounded like garbage they were loud. I switched them for a set of Altec ATP-3 thin speakers which are okay.

I recently demo'd the Logitech 4.1's at the local Best Buy and they sound awesome. A little bit bassy but overall sound quality was very good and there was alot of clean volume. The Logitech set is constructed well. I wish I had bought them to try'em in my house before I give them my "official" endorsement but I liked them enough to buy them if I needed a new set of speakers soon.

Here is the review posted by Thomas in the news a few days back.http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/Z560/Z560.html

Everyone seems to like these speakers and they are constantly being compared to the Klipsch but for alot less money. I think the biggest issue with the Klipsch is the price. For the money they get I expected top quality. Instead I got okay at best.

One last thing, Logitech bought out Labtec so that is why they now are producing speakers. When I first heard that Logitech was making speakers I was a bit leary but then I learned about the Labtec buy-out and I soon turned into a logitech believer.

I've heard great things about those new Logitech Speakers, however my recommendation goes to Videologic's Sirocco Crossfire 4.1 system, amazing output, I've had these speakers for over a year, they are just great :hotbounce

Thanks guys,

I have heard (and store tested) the Labtech Pulse 424 which for at $50 was a great bargin, I wonder if the new Logitech is an advancement on that. I also appriciate the input on the Videologic's, I will have to look into those. Thanks a mil SVT, I like many was sold on the Klipsch but didn't want to pay the premium price...I won't now. I will look at another brand.

Originally posted by 3DS Julio
I've heard great things about those new Logitech Speakers, however my recommendation goes to Videologic's Sirocco Crossfire 4.1 system, amazing output, I've had these speakers for over a year, they are just great :hotbounce

Ohh and since I know you have read this Julio, You have a GREAT site, keep up the GREAT work !!!

The Logitech 560's are great. I bought a set to replace my Cambridge 2000's and they couldn't be better and price was right.

boeing, try to find the Logitechs online from a place that has a good return policy. This is the best way to find a good set of speakers because you need to see how they sound in your house where they are always going to be.

Here is one of my favorite places to order from:

http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?UID=PG-4402803&SCriteria=395106&bop=and

Mwave has a 30 day return and a good price on the Z560's.

I did a search on 3DS Pricegrabber just to see how the pricing broke down. Here it is:

http://3dspotlight.pricegrabber.com...28/search=logitech%20560/ut=183d65f9455660cd/

It looks like there is a site called Proadvantage.com that is selling the speakers for a very low price (128.92). They also have a 30 day return and a 5 star seller rating with 122 votes. I would probably go with them if I was going to make this purchase. I went through the shopping cart and first I thought shipping was a bit high (26.95) but that sub is probably heavy.

Well, let me know how you make out. Im starting to get the itch for new speakers so a purchase in the near future may happen.

Thanks svtcobra,

Those are the ones I have been looking at the most. Haven't had a chance to hear them "live" yet. i will remember about the return policy, I agree, it is best to hear them in YOUR house not the store!

Hmmm...I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers now (4 of them), but I've been thinking of upgrading to something with more thump I guess is the word. Looks like I'll have to take a look at these Logitech speakers.

I didn't even know the same people that made my keyboard and mouse also made speakers. Crazy crazy stuff :)

I would also try and look on www.pricewatch.com to find some cheaper speakers, for they seem to have low prices. I built my computer using parts off their site and had no problems with the resellers. Just something else to think about...:)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I would also try and look on www.pricewatch.com to find some cheaper speakers, for they seem to have low prices. I built my computer using parts off their site and had no problems with the resellers. Just something else to think about...:)

3DS Pricegrabber is pretty much the same as pricewatch in its function although Pricewatch definately has a larger database of the smaller companies out there that could also have some good prices.

I always use www.mwave.com as a "benchmark" for pricing.

I use 4.1 Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000's and they are great. I bought them sometime last year or sometime for about 130$. If you have a Creative sound card, these speakers are digital. Talk about clarity! If I turn my speakers up all the way, I hear just a tiny bit of static. That's amazing since my last set of speakers sounded like a radio turned to an unused channel and turned up all the way :dead:. I hear like, EVERYTHING in games I play, as long as it's on high sound quality. I love it :D

I still think the Cambridge series is still much better than Creative's Inspire series. I also think you might be better off checking out Logitech.

Did Creative not buy Cambridge?
They are now a division of Creative. I remember years back that for computer speakers Cambridge were the people to buy from. I think they have lost that edge since they were acquired by Creative...

csw.creative.com :(

I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks (Creative) FPS1600, and am quite impressed with them since they were only £50 and I really wanted some 5:1's. The Volume control is especially nice - just long enough to reach to my bed :)

They also work quite nicely with my SB Live! 5:1.

I think Creative did buy Cambridge Soundworks, if I remember rightly.

Here is an article I found comparing the Cambridge 5.1 and the Klipsch 5.1 speakers.

From http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=1017&a=24415,00.asp

Cambridge, Klipsch Vie for Top 5.1 Honors

By Loyd Case and Dave Salvator

Both of these speakers are solid attempts at bringing high end audio features down to the PC desktop. They both reach high, and they both fall a bit short. The MegaWorks offers somewhat better imaging and smoother, less colored output that's particularly noticeable on musical material. The Klipsch's can go really loud, and the bass unit has more bottom-end. But the midrange seems almost shrill at times, and less pleasing with music, and even on quiet vocal passages in DVD movies.

We agreed that the ideal set of speakers would be Klipsch subwoofer coupled to the Cambridge Newton MC50 satellites on the 510D's. Add in Klipsch's better ergonomics and more granular controls, along with an industry-standard digital audio input, and you'd really have yourself one heck of a set of speakers.

Doesn't really sound like either impressed them too terribly much, considering the cost of each.

This review talks about the Logitech 4.1 speakers.

From http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/speakers/logitech_z560/4.htm

Reviewed By: Brad Pfau

Overall, the high frequencies were crisp, clear and precise, which is quite amazing since the satellites do not actually feature separate tweeters (!). The midrange response was great, and as mentioned before, the bass was clear and practically distortion free. One point I have yet to mention is the price. For about $200.00 (lower prices found on iBuyer of course) there is not one 4-speaker system out there that can compete with the Logitech Z560's in terms of quality or performance. Though the control center may be lacking an adjustable treble control, those of you with the appropriate sound card software will not even notice it's missing. With a very budget friendly price tag, feature set and overall great sound, the Logitech Z560's are a fantastic speaker set that will not disappoint.

Thats a great review on the Logitech speakers you posted cheetah..I would love to get a set myself and give them a thorough review. From everything I have read and from the couple of times I have heard them, they seem to be the speaker to buy..

Boeing, have made a purchase yet?

Boeing, have made a purchase yet?

Not yet STV but hopfully soon. I have a pair of decent Altec Lansings but want to upgrade. Thankfully I don't have the "need" to, although, sometimes my "needs" and "wants" are hard to disern.....am I right gang ??

Here is an article over some quite expensive speakers, but they're supposed to be good. Take a look for yourself:

First Look: NHT ''Evolution'' Series
Posted on Thursday, December 02 @ 00:00:03 PST by TopRamen
http://www.designtechnica.com/article.php?sid=1273

NHT is replacing its respective series of Music and Home Theater loudspeakers with a new selection of eight products that can be configured for 15 or more unique systems.

Dubbed, “Evolution,†the new line is anchored by two satellites, chosen according to room size, that are subsequently arranged and assembled as towers, placed on shelves, installed in furniture, or positioned horizontally or vertically with no change in fidelity.

Along with two satellite models, Evolution will include four different configurations of powered subwoofers, including two that form the base of tower speakers when combined with the satellites. Two remaining subwoofers are designed specifically for size, placement, and the resolution of low frequency anomalies. The remaining components of the Evolution line are related electronics for amplification and subwoofer processing. In addition to offering impeccable performance, the new Evolution speakers are an average of 20% - 40% smaller than NHT’s previous two- and multi-channel products.

I used to have a set of NHT tower speakers..They were black laquer mirror finish. They were awesome. I want to say I paid about 1500.00 for them in 1999. They had side firing subwoofers that could put out some strong bass.

If I bought another set of speakers for the home, NHT's would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back