Win/98se & XP dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Windows 98se and xp dual boot

i tried to dual boot with windows 98se and windows xp PRO,
it only loaded the 2nd os, windows xp

:

You'll find the info you're looking for here ... It's a step by step guide on setting up dual boot with xp and 98se from the old forum...

Enjoy :)

www.3dspotlight.com

:wave:Welcome & Hello:wave:
Here's some tips for a more pleasurable 3DS experience.
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=55#post55

Please read the 3DS homepage www.3dspotlight.com
Read the articles, guides, reviews, tweaks & links.
Also visit our sponsors.

* Please use a Specific Question on the Subject Line.
* This will archive your subject for later searches/retrieval
* Subject lines like "Help me" or "I have a question" & other pleas of desperation are not useful in a help forum.

i have a question, when i installed windows 98SE on D and windows xp professional on C
after i did all that, it only loaded windows XP (the one i installed last)
i would like to create a dual boot system:confused:

If Windows XP was installed onto C:\ then the file system has to be FAT32 (Or 16, cough), not NTFS, that's probably your problem.
As such you're best off installing windows 98 onto C:\ first & XP onto D:\ or whatever

i know its best to install 98 on C, but i would really like to install XP on c, making it my primary OS
would it be the same thing jus that instead of C i make it D?

Originally posted by Dragon
i know its best to install 98 on C, but i would really like to install XP on c, making it my primary OS
would it be the same thing jus that instead of C i make it D?

You can still use XP as your primary OS even with it on D... It's up to you how you set up the bootloader... (All you have to do is change the default OS, but I doubt even that is needed...)

.02$

thank you sooo much
yep it seems like NTFS was the prob last time, thanx to all of you i got windows XP and 98 setup and working perfectly
once again thank you to the people who replyed :grinthumb

1. Install Win98 on C using FAT32 (Win98 has to be on C according to WinXP help files)
2. Install WinXP on D using FAT32 (if u want 98 to see it) or NTFS
3. WinXP will provide u with a little bootmenu to load either OS, or if nothing is pressed for 30 seconds the default os is loaded.

Bootmenu will look something like this:-

1.Windows XP Professional
2.Windows

Timeout in : 30 seconds

you can edit the name Windows back to Windows 98 if u dare, but the last time i started meddling with boot.ini I killed my machine. :)

1. Install Win98 on C using FAT32 (Win98 has to be on C according to WinXP help files)
2. Install WinXP on D using FAT32 (if u want 98 to see it) or NTFS

hmm...i got it working using
WinXP on C and
Win98 on D :rolleyes:

hmmm dodgy. but if it ain't broke don't fix it:)

I tryed to add 98se to D: after I had installed XP on C:. Would only boot to XP and then I tried to modify boot.ini - wham dead machine. Not even XP Recovery could help me fix that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back