What would you rather be?

lokem

1. Software engineer
2. Systems engineer
3. Technical support

I'm currently a software engineer and it's getting really boring. Been doing that for 2 years now. Was thinking of going into the systems side of stuff.

What do you guys think?

Comments are welcome.

I've been a software engineer/software support/systems analyst/data monkey for about 3 and a half years now. I think I need to work for a different company or at least work on some different software as presently I am bored out of my skull with what I am working on :(

I wouldn't mind being a systems engineer but having to do technical support for a living is something that I would hate to do.

Re: Re: What would you rather be?

Originally posted by Arris
I've been a software engineer/software support/systems analyst/data monkey for about 3 and a half years now. I think I need to work for a different company or at least work on some different software as presently I am bored out of my skull with what I am working on :(

I guess I'm getting there! Hoping to get some challenging stuff to do is rather hard to come by these days.

I wouldn't mind being a systems engineer but having to do technical support for a living is something that I would hate to do.

Some pple will swear against having to code for a living as well ;) Just wished there's a job where you can do both! :)

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Tech Support, definatly Tech....and the calls would make great posts...!!1

Problem is if the person isn't online you can't just say "Check out this post". You have to reiterate how to do X everytime someone calls with that problem.....

I was going to be a software engineer (I learned a bit of programming by myself throughout high school), but I chose to go to an art school (last minute decision sort of thing). I thought I would regret it (I do just a little bit - everyone I know of [brother, cousins, friends] are going into a computer related field), but it turns out that I enjoy art more than programming.

...not to sway anyone's decisions....i just wanted ta share :rolleyes: :p

Tech Support, definatly Tech....and the calls would make great posts...!!1

Oh, it certainly does. But don't get me started on that right now.... ;)

tech support, eh? i have no real experience of what being a tech support is like, but if it's like what i imagined (answering phone calls/e-mails about the same common prob every day), then i must give it a big NO NO :p

when i was working at the computer room at teh university as a part time job (mainly building rigs from broken parts), it's not that bad. though it is quite boring building broken rigs, but at least i'm working somewhere that there're lots of girls (the university) ;)

Originally posted by Whack0
I was going to be a software engineer (I learned a bit of programming by myself throughout high school), but I chose to go to an art school (last minute decision sort of thing). I thought I would regret it (I do just a little bit - everyone I know of [brother, cousins, friends] are going into a computer related field), but it turns out that I enjoy art more than programming.

I wanted to go down the Art road.
I wanted to do Architecture at university but my parents didn't think it was a good choice and asked me to pick another subject.
Quite liked computers so I chose that. Still not sure if it was the right choice for me or not :(

Originally posted by Whack0

I would have taken something else if I'm interested in other stuff apart from computers :D

I have changed my mine about tech support. I think I would rather be wealthy and not have to work for a living. Just travel around the country, stop anywhere I choose....yeah thats what I would rather be...world traveler...

I have changed my mine about tech support. I think I would rather be wealthy and not have to work for a living. Just travel around the country, stop anywhere I choose....yeah thats what I would rather be...world traveler...

I'm sure EVERYONE here has that dream dude :D Perhaps a better dream would be wealthy and be given the chance to test out each and every new piece of hardware that comes out to the market :D

Originally posted by lokem

I'm sure EVERYONE here has that dream dude :D Perhaps a better dream would be wealthy and be given the chance to test out each and every new piece of hardware that comes out to the market :D

Now your talking Lokum...and while I am on the subject, ARE you following me around ?? Just kidding, glad to see you here, Are you an F-1 racing fan ?? they are on your side of the world tomorrow (or today). At this writing it is 12:30 on the east coast of the US, how bout there....if you are an F-1 fan, cheer one for me on Ferrari please.

I would have to say Tech Support. I am in sales right now and I hate it. Dealing with customers face to face is really tough sometimes.

I'm hoping really bad to graduate after one more school-year, but I don't know if I'll be able to land a video game programming job right off the bat since my school doesn't teach us that stuff; only how to program using java and c++ primarily.

All my life I've been good with drawing and a lot of people from my childhood would be surprised that I'm not going into the field of art. I, myself have wondered how college would've been a whole lot easier if I majored in Art.

After eleven hours from now, I'm in an interview for tech support job..
Hey, good luck dude!

I would have to say Tech Support. I am in sales right now and I hate it. Dealing with customers face to face is really tough sometimes.
Doesn't Tech Support deal with end users as well? Some pple swear against that ;) Heheh...

Now your talking Lokum...and while I am on the subject, ARE you following me around ?? Just kidding, glad to see you here, Are you an F-1 racing fan ?? they are on your side of the world tomorrow (or today). At this writing it is 12:30 on the east coast of the US, how bout there....if you are an F-1 fan, cheer one for me on Ferrari please.
Uhh.. Nopes, I'm not following you around. You're the 2nd person to ask me that ;) Sad to say I missed the F1 race. I'm a fan, but I just can't get myself to go to the track becoz it's wayyy tooo hot there and with the weather this bad (the dreaded haze is back), I can't be bothered going outdoors. Track temperature should be ~36-40c. Too bad Ferrari didn't win. Surprising win from Ralph Schuey ;)

I would have to palce my vote for 'systems engineer'.

Based on my definition of this term, it would be a person that takes a broad set of goals, and finds a way to achieve those goals with a common set of tools. It sounds like it could be very challenging.

Originally posted by setscrew
I would have to palce my vote for 'systems engineer'.

Based on my definition of this term, it would be a person that takes a broad set of goals, and finds a way to achieve those goals with a common set of tools. It sounds like it could be very challenging.

Interesting. Would you be so kind as to share your definition of a Systems Engineer?

Uhh.. Nopes, I'm not following you around. You're the 2nd person to ask me that ;) Sad to say I missed the F1 race. I'm a fan, but I just can't get myself to go to the track becoz it's wayyy tooo hot there and with the weather this bad (the dreaded haze is back), I can't be bothered going outdoors. Track temperature should be ~36-40c. Too bad Ferrari didn't win. Surprising win from Ralph Schuey ;)

Hey lokum,

If you make it to the states in september of this year, lets go to the F-1 race in Indianapolis ? I have been the last two years and I love it. I am a race fan too and again I am a traditionalist.

Real Race cars DON'T have fenders !!!

Hey lokum,

If you make it to the states in september of this year, lets go to the F-1 race in Indianapolis ? I have been the last two years and I love it. I am a race fan too and again I am a traditionalist.

Real Race cars DON'T have fenders !!!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm too bz with my work and I'm getting ready for something BIG in my life right now ;)

Currently a high school student I think I would like Tech support more. The opportunity to help others and bring about quality support and create a caring environment ohh who am I kidding I would set up a CS server on the domain and never do any work

(Worked as an Intern at a respectable place (doing surface mounts) and didn't see any work actually being done but did meet the leader of www.boisegamers.com)

Thanks for the offer, but I'm too bz with my work and I'm getting ready for something BIG in my life right now ;)

Getting married ?? Don't do it man...or did I mean to say Good Luck ?

If that is not it, what you gonna do, if I may ask ?

Back