GeForce4 ti 4400 slow frame rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

StriderX

GeForce4 Question

Hello,

I just bought a GeForce 4 ti 4400 and it seem that it is running alot slower than it is suppose to. For example, in the game Unreal Tournament I get around 75fps and it doesnt seem to go up much more than that. Now My question is, did I had to do something in the BIOS or change any settings so that it runs as it is suppose to or did I just pay $300 for nothing?

Thanks,

SX

Nope

I have my refresh rate set to 85Hz and I dont know how to disable v-sync although i dont think it is that (i might be wrong).

Thx,

SX

Hi StriderX and welcome to 3DS!!! :)

First of all, if you wouldn't mind, could you post some specs about your comp, like Mobo, CPU, memory, etc.

There are also several threads about problems with the new G4's such as this one:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=442

I suggest trying different drivers and recording your results. Also, as Erwin suggeted change the V-sync to accomodate higher frame rates.

UT has never been known for high frame rates. UT is very intensive on your whole system rather then just your graphic card. You could put a GF4 4600 & not see much difference.

Specs

I have an AMD XP 1800 CPU with an Asus A7A266 Mobo
GeForce 4 TI 4400
512 MB PC133 SDRAM
60gb HDD

I also runned a 3d benchmark from Madonion and it came up to be 6039 which I think it is much slower than it should be ( I expected around 7500 to 8000).

Also I know UT is kinda old but I hear of people having 150+ fps.... maybe a lie.

All I want is to really check if this 3d card is running as it should be.

Thx again,

SX

I have a Geforce 256 DDR and I get around 60 fps average in UT in most maps. If I just have a wall in front of me I can get near 200 fps. Try that if you can kick your fps up. I would think a G4 would do even better. What OS are you using?

Try using opengl or direct3D depending on what mode you're using now to see if you get a different result. You'll have to edit the unrealtournament.ini file in the systems folder of UT to check the vsync. Under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice], make sure you see this: UseVSync=False.

You need to look in the control panel of your nvidia video card to disable vsync for opengl.

I tried that and it is always 75fps, is like it is capped or something at 75 fps wont go higher. :(.... im crying already lol

You won't really notice any difference above 60 fps and that 75 fps cap doesn't necessarily mean your card is running slow.

You may have changed some settings that I don't know about or it's OS related.

Originally posted by StriderX
I tried that and it is always 75fps, is like it is capped or something at 75 fps wont go higher. :(.... im crying already lol

nah, i think ur card is defintely much faster than the Geforce ddr! I think i face this prob before! Can i just ask what monitor r u using? What's the max refresh rate u have for 1024 * 768 *32! As for mine i'm using LG Flatron 795 so i got 100mhz! in my game i only get 60max fps in CS! Guess what it's actually the build in refresh rate for win2k and winxp that adjust/cap it to 60fps!

So all u need is a software called nvida refersh rate prog! Once installed and select the appropriate selection, i get back 100mhz in my cs too! Hehe!

check out urself :-
Nviia refresh rate fix
To download go here!

My monitor is in 1024x768 16 bit mode and at 75Hz. Im using WinXPPro.

No wonder!

Anyway, us monitor max resolution is ur limitation! Another way to improve fps is to adjust to lower resolition said 800 / 640!Can't help much coz it's hdaware limitation! I think if u run 3dmark 2001se, then u will aprreciate ur card more! Btw, can i ask how much u got it! Cheers!

Try downloading the very latest drivers. If this doesn't fix it, then maybe what you're facing is overheating issues, or you have too many programs running in the background.

What was your average FPS for some of the 3DMark demos?

How do I know which are the latest drivers?? I mean when I got to NVidia they just give me the detonator drivers and just one....

I got 104 in the dragonair or whatevr demo and that was the highest. :(

What ur score in ur 3dmark2001se? Give us more details like ur comp specs! That will help! And read the site that i gave u! Spoon feed u already and u still ask question like that! Sigh!Cheers!

How do I know which are the latest drivers?? I mean when I got to NVidia they just give me the detonator drivers and just one....

I got 104 in the dragonair or whatevr demo and that was the highest. :(

Go to:

http://www.fileconnect.net/files.php?directory=Video/nVidia/

Scroll down and the largest number should be the latest driver. A word of caution though, if you get the drivers from the aforementioned site, it's usually beta drivers. So if there's anything wrong with the display, switch to a lower version.

Originally posted by lokem

Go to:

http://www.fileconnect.net/files.php?directory=Video/nVidia/

Scroll down and the largest number should be the latest driver. A word of caution though, if you get the drivers from the aforementioned site, it's usually beta drivers. So if there's anything wrong with the display, switch to a lower version.

but try to use 23.11 from nvidia website, all the rest r beta leaked driver! Anyway, it's a freewill man! cheers!

Forgot to add that I haven't had any problems using the leaked drivers :D I'm sure a lot of pple can verify this as well ;)

AFAIK no drivers other than 27.xx support GF4's or any GF4 specific features, this could explain your problem.

Also most NVIDIA drivers are beta anyway.

Originally posted by henrychieng
What ur score in ur 3dmark2001se? Give us more details like ur comp specs! That will help! And read the site that i gave u! Spoon feed u already and u still ask question like that! Sigh!Cheers!

He did post his computer specs.... And 3dmark....

Check out the 3dspotlight Geforce 2/3/4 guide for details about refresh rates and all other settings for your card....

OK 1st of all Thx every1 for helping.

Henry I got 6039 in 3dmark2001se like i said earlier. My comp specs are in an earlier post( just read up :) ).

The reason I didnt download that is because my problem doesnt have to do with the monitor Hz rather than with fps and because I dont have enough info on that (peoples experiences and such). I dont want to jup the gun and then mess sopmething up more than it already is.

By the way Arris I checked that and everything seems to be ok....im gonna try the NVmax next and see if that helps.

If I get this resolved I will post it here.

Thx again,

SX

OK 1st of all Thx every1 for helping.

Henry I got 6039 in 3dmark2001se like i said earlier. My comp specs are in an earlier post( just read up :) ).

The reason I didnt download that is because my problem doesnt have to do with the monitor Hz rather than with fps and because I dont have enough info on that (peoples experiences and such). I dont want to jup the gun and then mess sopmething up more than it already is.

By the way Arris I checked that and everything seems to be ok....im gonna try the NVmax next and see if that helps.

If I get this resolved I will post it here.

Thx again,

SX

Saw that ealierwhn arris posted it! Anyway, dun be so upset! Anyway, Ti4400 should be quite overclockable! Cheer up man! :cool:

I reformatted cause of other stoopid probs and installed everything brand new..... I still had the 75 fps prob but I used NVMAX and it got it up to 120 in UT ...if im alone i get up to 189fps...

Im not completely happy(cause i still get same score in 3dmark2001se)...but it will have to do for now...

Thx Arris and all who helped me.

SX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back