A program to tweak your VIA -or- AMD chipset !

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

To anyone with a VIA or AMD chipset!!!

Some of you hardcore tweakers have probably seen these, but for some of the newer guys here goes:

A great way to tweak your VIA or AMD chipset is to download a program called WPCREDIT made by a third party, and use it to change registers to do things like lower CPU temperatures by up to 18 degrees! (Mine went down by 17) Also, some users can enable 4-way memory interleaving, amony various other tweaks not offered in the bios to help drastically increase performance. I found this program while browsing over at www.viahardware.com and thought it was only for VIA chipsets, but then I found out it was for my AMD 760 chipset also! There is also one more small program you will have to download to make sure the registers you change will take effect every time you restart your computer. You will need to download the small plug profiles on the Via page and for AMD 760 users like the KG7 series can go here to get the AMD profile:

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm

Anyone interested in trying these tweaks out can either go to:

http://www.viahardware.com/download/viatweak.shtm

or

For the AMD 760 chipset go here:
http://www.mods4me.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4

These sites contain indepth articles on how to go about changing the different registers and what exactly your changing. I highly recommend this simple little program and the performance gains and temperature drops I got were well worth the effort I put into it. Anyone with a VIA or AMD chipset should definitely look into doing this simple mod and reeping the benefits!!!

A quick little update. It seems that this program works with just about any chipset as long as you know what the registers mean. While browsing the downloads page on Paul's Unofficial KG7 & KR7 page (the link is above) I found that they also have a file for the KR7A family with the KT266a chipset in it.

Hopefully more files for different chipsets will start showing up so more people can use this fasinating little program to unleash computing power they never knew they had.

My bios allows me to choose 4 way interleave memory so i dun need this anymore, rite! Cheers!

Btw, is there a significant improvement after u use?

henrychieng,

Most of the newer bios have the 4-way memory enable option, but some of the older ones do not. Mine was already enabled also. There are several other registers that affect other things in your mobo like memory, cpu, pci, agp, etc. etc. so I would definitely look into it more if I were you. :) It helped me alot when I dove deeper and found the different tweaks I could do to my system.

The improvement really depends on the motherboard and the chipset. I saw significant memory improvements, a 17 degree temperature drop at idle, among other smaller tweaks to help stability.

I don't remember the exact number increases, but I'll see if I can run some tests and get back to you guys.

If you do try this out, please post and tell me some results if you don't mind. :)

By simply changing register numbers. The guides should give you a good understanding of what to do. I'm off to bed now, but I'll make sure to elaborate in the morning. :)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
By simply changing register numbers. The guides should give you a good understanding of what to do. I'm off to bed now, but I'll make sure to elaborate in the morning. :)

Thnx! ;)

Hey SuperCheetah,

How do I get the app's ? I tried downloading them and it asks for a password and username. I registered there too and still couldnt log in to download then. Any idea's ??

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Hey SuperCheetah,

How do I get the app's ? I tried downloading them and it asks for a password and username. I registered there too and still couldnt log in to download then. Any idea's ??

He is ZZZZZ now, will wait for his ans by the next day!

Very interested in the temp thingy! I doubt it can help me to reduce the temp further! But nevertherless, no harm to try man! Rite!

So Supercheetah, i hope u can guide us how to reduce the idle temp using WPcredit!

If u need to know anything about my specs! I will tell u, ok! Cheers!

Ok it's morning time and I'm back! :) About my previous reply on changing registers I will now try to elaborate.

The WPCREDIT program has a simple interface that consists of a bunch of different registers numbered to whatever your cpu has. By highlighting one of these registers you will get a description on the right side of the interface telling you what the register is and the options given to change it.

Note: Some of the registers are reserved for special use and should not be changed so be warned!

There is the register number and a hexadecimal value at the bottom of the interface. The hexademical value is the one you want to change, and the registers to change are talked about in detail in the articles. After changing the values you should start to see immediate results. My temp value went down by 17 degrees in a matter of about 2 minutes.

The WPCSET program is used to set the values every time Windows boots up. You will have to enter in the register and hexadecimal value into this program to make sure it sets the value upon booting.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!!! :)

Hey SuperCheetah,

I still need to know how to download the thing, it keeps asking me for a username and passowrd. I registered and tried again but to no avail, it still wouldn't let me download. any ideas ??

Ohh BTW, 737-800 school is real BORING...

If you don't mind me asking where did you try to download it from? I got my copy from www.viahardware.com on the homepage on the left side under downloads.

I didn't have to enter a username or password, but I am registered in the forums over there so that might have something to do with it. If that doesn't work go here:

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/downloads.htm

and scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll find everything you need.

And if this doesn't work then you can do a google search and you'll find several other sites which have the program readily available for download! :)

Oh yeah, I bet that school is pretty boring! Just sitting in class learning about stuff you already know or don't need to know I suppose!!! :)

Get back to me and let me know if you were able to download it ok.

Ok it's morning time and I'm back! :) About my previous reply on changing registers I will now try to elaborate.

The WPCREDIT program has a simple interface that consists of a bunch of different registers numbered to whatever your cpu has. By highlighting one of these registers you will get a description on the right side of the interface telling you what the register is and the options given to change it.

Note: Some of the registers are reserved for special use and should not be changed so be warned!

There is the register number and a hexadecimal value at the bottom of the interface. The hexademical value is the one you want to change, and the registers to change are talked about in detail in the articles. After changing the values you should start to see immediate results. My temp value went down by 17 degrees in a matter of about 2 minutes.

The WPCSET program is used to set the values every time Windows boots up. You will have to enter in the register and hexadecimal value into this program to make sure it sets the value upon booting.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!!! :)

I have to say it is almost unbelievable results to see u achieved a drop in 17C! :eek:

But i have to apologise for my ignorance the wpcredit is really rock man! In an aircond room my idle temp is always around 38/39 for XP1600@1900 on MSIKT266 Pro U! And now after the tweak! I got 30/31 for my CPU temp! A significant decrease of 8/9 degree! WOW! :eek: !

Really thnx alot man!

Now i have a serious doubt, whether my temp really as per what it shown! Anyone using an external probe to test it out? Cheers!

Btw, i use 2 prog to check my temp in win! PC alert comes with my msi mtb and mbm5 latest ver! Cheers!

My mobo has an internal probe to test CPU temp and I use Motherboard Monitor to verify if so I'm happy with my results.

I'm glad to see that my temps also went down by a significant amount. Oh yeah, by 17 degrees I meant 17 degrees Fahrenhiet, and from what it look like yours went down about 12-14 degrees fahrenhiet, but I'm not exactly sure just guesstimating. :)

So I guess I got about the same drop in temp as you got!! ;) Still it is pretty unbelieveable that by changing one number your cpu temp go down by so much.

My mobo has an internal probe to test CPU temp and I use Motherboard Monitor to verify if so I'm happy with my results.

I'm glad to see that my temps also went down by a significant amount. Oh yeah, by 17 degrees I meant 17 degrees Fahrenhiet, and from what it look like yours went down about 12-14 degrees fahrenhiet, but I'm not exactly sure just guesstimating. :)

So I guess I got about the same drop in temp as you got!! ;) Still it is pretty unbelieveable that by changing one number your cpu temp go down by so much.

Oic fahrenheit! LOL! No wonder u got a pretty good score! But now i got 1 prob! My mtb sys temp show 32C and my cpu show 31C. Doesn't seems to be too logical rite! Normally, my sys temp is lower than my cpu! Now it's hard to explain! LOL! Cheers!

Hey SuperCheetah,

I still need to know how to download the thing, it keeps asking me for a username and passowrd. I registered and tried again but to no avail, it still wouldn't let me download. any ideas ??

Ohh BTW, 737-800 school is real BORING...

U guys pilot? WOW! :eek:
Always admire and envy u guys can fly around man! Anyway,

checl out
H -oda

Go to the fdownload page, now i'm pretty sure u can download the file! Cheers!

My system temps are about on par with my CPU temp now also. I really don't know what the reasoning is, but I'm happy with it :)

H-Oda is a guy who made the program, although he no longer supports it (for what reason is undisclosed). I would definitely check out his site before downloading this program. I'm sure he has some useful information on it.

Also, the program only works when the CPU is in idle state because it halts all commands until the next one thereby putting the CPU in standby mode. So whenever you do something CPU intensive your load temp should still be around the same. Still my CPU temps stay around 34C all the time.

Originally posted by henrychieng

U guys pilot? WOW! :eek:
Always admire and envy u guys can fly around man! Anyway,

checl out
H -oda

Go to the fdownload page, now i'm pretty sure u can download the file! Cheers!

Hey henrychieng,

No pilot here, I am an Aircraft Maintenance Tech, I just keep them flying so our pilots have jobs to come to.

Hey henrychieng,

No pilot here, I am an Aircraft Maintenance Tech, I just keep them flying so our pilots have jobs to come to.

oic, sorry for getting it wrong! Anyway, did u manage to download the software? If not let me know, u can download fr my ftp server! Cheers!

If you don't mind me asking where did you try to download it from? I got my copy from www.viahardware.com on the homepage on the left side under downloads.

Oh yeah, I bet that school is pretty boring! Just sitting in class learning about stuff you already know or don't need to know I suppose!!! :)

Get back to me and let me know if you were able to download it ok.

Hey Super,

Here is where I went to to try to download it...

http://www.mods4me.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4

Originally posted by henrychieng

oic, sorry for getting it wrong! Anyway, did u manage to download the software? If not let me know, u can download fr my ftp server! Cheers!

I just got them, thank you both. Is the program the same for both VIA and AMD ??

I just got them, thank you both. Is the program the same for both VIA and AMD ??

Read the articles as mentioned by supercheetach! He post the link above! Make sure u read the right one!

It looks confusing but after i read the memory tweaking guide! It seems to boost up my confident and i give it a try! Btw, just to give u further assurance, i have actually tweak my Abit mtb too! and again it work amazingly decrease by 5C from 41 to 36 now! WOW!:eek: All i can said it's rock!

Btw, when u choose open pcr! Make sure u download the viaKT266/133 and amd pcr 1st! OK! Cheers!

The program is the same, but you need to get different PCR files for each chipset, the VIA one can be found at www.viahardware.com and the AMD one can be found at http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kg7kr7faq.htm under the downloads section at the bottom.

Just make sure you find the right file to load into the program so it shows the correct registers and what each one does. :)

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask, Boeingfixer. Love the name by the way!!! :)

Thanks SuperCheetah,

Yes I got the right PRC, I was tinkering with it last night a little, haven't made any changes yet though.

Thanks for the complememnt on the name. Even though I work on Douglas aircraft too, I prefer to have nothing to do with them. Their engineers leave something to be desired. Boeing builds far superior aircraft, the best in the world, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back