Ever chip an Athlon core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrychieng

Any guys chipped their core?

Guys i dunno about u guys but as for me, i have already chipped 1 of my TB 1.33G so far and luckily i got warranty n send it back for RMA!

I always find it hard to take out hsf and everytime it will cause my back to cold sweat! Dunno about u guys! But it sure won;t feel good after after u experienced once chipped TB before! If its duron, then may be not so bad! haha!

Any expert here can give a better solution of how to take out ur AMD chips without chiping?

Or may be the supplier have to improve the way they mod the cpu on to the mtb! Cheers!

nope, i didn't. And I am glad i didn't, because those chips look TOO FRAGILE TO ME.

Its strange to compare them to the original Athlon chips, where where slot based and were built like little tanks.

Surely in design testing, the folks at AMD must have realised that the Athlon Cs and XPs were just too weak.

Cracking your core! Chipping it! Man, these things should NOT be possible.

But unfortunately, they seem to be.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
nope, i didn't. And I am glad i didn't, because those chips look TOO FRAGILE TO ME.

Its strange to compare them to the original Athlon chips, where where slot based and were built like little tanks.

Surely in design testing, the folks at AMD must have realised that the Athlon Cs and XPs were just too weak.

Cracking your core! Chipping it! Man, these things should NOT be possible.

But unfortunately, they seem to be.

Consider urself lucky! As for me, i'm the type of person that play around with hsf! Currently i have at least a hand full of 7 to 8 hsf!

The main reason of chipping is mainly because of the gigantic size of our hsf that most manufactured created is way more than 300g prescribed by amd, for instance the AX7 is weight around 600g, Mellienium Glaciator 1 or 2 is at least 500 to 600 g too!

Seriously i think the manufacturer of hsf and mtb must really look into this area for improvement man! Cheers!

you could consider using a shim. it'll protect the core from the heatsink putting uneven presure on the core, when could break it, i'm not sure how you broke yours, but at 10 bucks a shim, it's definetly worth considering

I've thought of that, but to tell you the truth, i would be scared to open the thing and detach the HSF again.....

As I said, that chip is so fragile it frightens me.

This is why I bought the Swiftech 462a. It is mounted to the motherboard and there is no way in damaging the core. Before this I had a TT Volcano II and I was very afraid of chipping or cracking the core. The best thing to do is to keep it as straight and flat as possible when mounting it. Some HSF are known for their poor clip design. If the clip is no good I wouldnt even consider buying it.

Shims on Athlon XP
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66&highlight=shim
Originally posted by Per Hansson
A shim is only used to protect the very fragile core of a CPU during installation of the heatsink

I always remove the motherboard when installing a hsf.
Check the hsf base w/ a precision square.
Dry test using a light source to insure contact w/ the core.
Carefully apply the Artic Silver.
Carefully install the hsf.

Originally posted by uncleel
Shims on Athlon XP
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66&highlight=shim

I always remove the motherboard when installing a hsf.
Check the hsf base w/ a precision square.
Dry test using a light source to insure contact w/ the core.
Carefully apply the Artic Silver.
Carefully install the hsf.

Thanks guys, but with a shim will it ensure that i will not cracj the core? Anyone can confirm that? Cheers!

I chipped my 1.33t-bird also, but it still seemed to work. I only chipped a lil bit off the corner. now I use a non-conductive shim on my XP and I haven't chipped the core yet and I'm using an OCZ Goliath. I bought it off someone that cracked the core while trying to put this HSF on. he wasn't using a shim... so use one, it's worth it. just make sure it's non conductive and not copper.

it can be copper, but it has to have a protective layer over it...

and a shim won't 100% prevent teh core from chipping, but it should come resonably close, more than worth the effort in my mind

Originally posted by hyjacked
it can be copper, but it has to have a protective layer over it...

and a shim won't 100% prevent teh core from chipping, but it should come resonably close, more than worth the effort in my mind

Heard some horro story about copper shim! They said get anodised better! But anyway, i dun care, i use a copper shim too in my XP and apprantly some L bridges are touching to the shim! So far it's ok! Cheers!

It's too bad AMD decided not to put a Heat SPreader on the Thoroughbred ( at least that's what it looks like on the Pictures available on the web ). A heat Spreader generally makes the CPU a bit warmer since the Die is not in direct contact with the HeatSink but since the thorougbred is in 0.13, it could've been a good time to try it out.

thoroughbred3.jpg

That's my point. I say it's a shame they didn't decide to put one on the new Athlon.

Take the time; do it right!

Originally posted by henrychieng
Thanks guys, but with a shim will it ensure that i will not cracj the core? Anyone can confirm that? Cheers!

Nope! Think like a professional A+ certified technician, & pretend like your dealing w/ other peoples' money.
Anytime you mess around w/ a hsf without first removing the motherboard, your asking for trouble; shim or not.
Take the time; do it right!

Over the last decade our small company has grow in size & revenue. We progressed from yours truely being the IT guy, to a neighbor in the pc business, to a local shop, to a profession firm. We have arrived @ the financial point & size that last year we entertained bids for the sale, installation, & service contract for our lastest server. I have learned over the years, having both witnessed & committing every pc mistake known to man, & finally dealing w/ A+ certified technicians. I know a good one when I see one.

Having befriended a number of these individuals in my business dealing, I can tell you w/ all certainty that the #1 most expensive repairs performed by bench-test technicians, is for the damage caused by "do it yourselfers" who do not follow standard & recommended procedures.

Don't be a, "Oops, I did it again..."
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=5221

I have never chipped my core but I literally had a blade break off one of my fan's and torched the 800 T-bird I had at the time. It made quite the racket too. I was very lucky that the place where I bought it from replaced both the CPU and the fan at no charge.

U r *darn lucky too! And that's goes for me as well! I produce the reciept for prrof of purchase of my TB1.33 and they ask me to top up $40 extra to get an XP1600 (brand new), as the guy said TB stop production and he can alternatively a quick way of getting my cpu!

Anyway, i think it's worth while coz i have another xp1600 burn but send for repair almost 1 mth and never getback yet! And this shop ask me to pay for $40 extra and i can get it immediately! That's quite a good deal! Right! Cheers!

(*edited by mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back