What it takes to win... "The Contest"

uncleel

http://www.3dspotlight.com/contests/forums2/
What it takes to win...
The rule #1 for the contest is to be an ACTIVE participant of 3D Spotlight Forums, that means you will have to register and start posting and replying to forum messages, we will be monitoring forum usage while the contest lasts, the winner will be selected considering the number and quality of posts made in the forums, but remember, only ACTIVE participants are eligible to win the prize.

Just a reminder:
use of PROFANITY will result in your post being deleted.
Worthless posts (just for the sake of posting) are usually deleted by some of the mods.
There's just too many posts during these contest periods to do a proper editing job.

Refer to:
FAQ's

Newcomer Welcome & Hello

Good Luck :grinthumb
But remember:
Not only will we be monitoring forum usage, but your posts as well! :eek:

* Be mindful of our International Membership; use proper English & Grammar.
* Women & Children frequent the boards, watch your language! (TOS is strictly enforced)

Isn't this contest kind of biased against people who don't know to much? Like what if I don't know anything about anything, how am I supposed to make a quality responce to all these crazy technical questions? I think that this contest is unfair, because all of the computer genuises that already have crazy overclocked computers are going to win and add another crazy overclocked computer to their collections, while all the people normal computer users who don't know as much are going to be stuck with their compaqs and hewlett packards. With these contests, the rich are just going to get richer and the poor are going to get poorer. What the world really needs is a contest where the people who make the worst posts and who don't know anything win, so that the wealth can be more evenly distributed and the less knowledgable can win, break free from their class barrier, and move up to a higher rung on the social ladder.

Extensive technical knowledge isn't required to win the contest.

3D Spotlight is of course, a tech oriented website and our forums, like the rest of the site, is devoted to PC Hardware and Gaming Discussion. The people that form our community however have different interests as well, and a general chat board is present in our forums.

Biased? I don't think so... if you take a role and make of this, a better community, you're in, simple as that :D

If I were to actually win the Pentium 4, I'd probably trade with the person that won the GeForce 4, or sell it. I have no use for a slow P4, I have an XP 1900+.

Plus, are moderators eligible?

Originally posted by Vehementi
If I were to actually win the Pentium 4, I'd probably trade with the person that won the GeForce 4, or sell it. I have no use for a slow P4, I have an XP 1900+.

Thats a bit negative now..isnt it vehementi?
I am hoping to win the mobo and P4. I could use a new rig. my current setup is getting a bit tired and it is very loud.

Originally posted by svtcobra

Thats a bit negative now..isnt it vehementi?
I am hoping to win the mobo and P4. I could use a new rig. my current setup is getting a bit tired and it is very loud.
are you kidding me? i'd do anything to have somethin half as good as urs....atm i'm on a celeron 433, 128ram, voodoo 2, etc...and the fan is sooo loud. its a constant high pitched whine:mad:

I'm pretty sure everyone's eligible. I wonder if previous contest winners have another chance at the prizes.... they probably do...

Originally posted by ldogg
poor are going to get poorer. What the world really needs is a contest where the people who make the worst posts and who don't know anything win, so that the wealth can be more evenly distributed and the less knowledgable can win
How are you going to be any poorer if you don't win?

So let me get this straight, you are saying 3ds should just give stuff to people who "don't know anything"? That doesn't reward us people that actually look up and research answers to questions that are posted. Do you think we were born with this knowledge?

And like Julio said, you don't even need to be knowledgeable, just help further improve this place.

Isn't this contest kind of biased against people who don't know to much? Like what if I don't know anything about anything, how am I supposed to make a quality responce to all these crazy technical questions? I think that this contest is unfair, because all of the computer genuises that already have crazy overclocked computers are going to win and add another crazy overclocked computer to their collections, while all the people normal computer users who don't know as much are going to be stuck with their compaqs and hewlett packards. With these contests, the rich are just going to get richer and the poor are going to get poorer. What the world really needs is a contest where the people who make the worst posts and who don't know anything win, so that the wealth can be more evenly distributed and the less knowledgable can win, break free from their class barrier, and move up to a higher rung on the social ladder.
ldogg, it isn't really about the contests. The contests are just the fun parts of being here. It's just to get people's attention and draw them over to 3DS. Hopefully, they'll realize that this place is cool and stick around after the contest is over. Two years ago (wow, has it been that long?), when 3DS announced a contest (their first one?), I first came here with that same attitude in mind. I'm still here two years later, and I'm still no computer tech. You can even check some of my posts.... I ask a lot of questions (therefore, giving other people a chance to reply with a quality post :D :p ) regarding computer stuff. Consider me a complete newbie to computers.

I might never win this contest, but I don't care. I can guarantee you that I'll still be here afterwards. ...It never hurts to keep trying ;) :p :D

I'd of course like that Pentium 4 and motherboard, but then I did win last time, so will be happy with the 2nd or even the third prize. ;)

Good luck against me, everyone. You are going to need it.

;)

/me sends some dodgy blokes round to Phantasm66's house to incapacitate his typing fingers

Muhahah :evil:

Well, IF you win it, you could refuse it, and let them redraw a new winner, or you could just give it to me and avoid the hassle.

Isn't this contest kind of biased against people who don't know to much? Like what if I don't know anything about anything, how am I supposed to make a quality responce to all these crazy technical questions? I think that this contest is unfair, because all of the computer genuises that already have crazy overclocked computers are going to win and add another crazy overclocked computer to their collections, while all the people normal computer users who don't know as much are going to be stuck with their compaqs and hewlett packards. With these contests, the rich are just going to get richer and the poor are going to get poorer.
Well not really. Uncleel won the big prize in one of the first contests & I don't believe he answered any questions with some in depth technical reply (Hmm, hope that reads in the right way). He did more sort of a good moderator role.

Originally posted by 3DSThomas
I don't believe he answered any questions with some in depth technical reply
Well, that's absolutely true!!! :D And I guess I stand as a testament to TeCHNoLoGy DeFiCiT DiSoRDeR

I always liked to provide URL's to www.3dspotlight.com reviews, guides, & tweaks along w/ other resources to answer questions. An honest, sincere, logical, & factual answer carries more weight than a, "Yea U go fer it dude" reply.

p.s. althought you must admit, my technical knowedge has grown over the years, even though my age makes me a candidate for presenile dementia!

see Mac_bug knows what I'm talking about. Lets give all the prizes to people with slower machines! Let's create a world of perfect equality where there are no upper or lower classes! I know it would cost a lot and be pretty hard to do, but it would be worth it!

well...

I know I know! Everyone should get identical machines here, then we won't ever have problems! :)

see Mac_bug knows what I'm talking about. Lets give all the prizes to people with slower machines! Let's create a world of perfect equality where there are no upper or lower classes! I know it would cost a lot and be pretty hard to do, but it would be worth it!

I have to say thats just as unfair as giving the prizes only to those of high technical knowledge. Your now penalising the people who have invested in their PCs more of their money. Not everyone who has powerful, completely up to date PCs is rolling around in cash, they just have different priorities and therefore save up and put their hard earned cash towards new hardware. I think that giving the prizes to those with slow old computers would mean that it would cease to be a contest. Plus, no matter how the contest is viewed, the overall purpose of it is to attract new forum members and readers to the site. You might as well have a "click to enter prize draw" button if the purpose was just to give stuff away and not to generate interest in 3DS.... ;)

Plus it is in the nature of man to better himself, and make himself in someway superior to his peers. If we make everyone equal then there is no more striving to improve. Even if it were feasible to give everyone equal systems, you would still have the overclockers and tweakers having systems with superior performance so its kind of pointless.

The only way to be a valid candidate for this contest is to make valid quality useful posts in the forum. Make a contribution to the 3ds community :D

How about people who answer first? I most of the time come on the board after other mods have passed. I don't post when it is not necessary, so in most cases I don't have to post because there is nothing more to add. Does that mean what I do, know, have, ... is not good?

I admit that it is not 100% objective, but nothing is. We can try to make it intersubjective. You will have to trust the judgement of our jury. Knowing the reputation of 3DS you should not be to worried about it.

What does matter with post it not the content (of course, rubbish is not good) nor the number, but you have to give the signal you care. You want to help or improve the forum in general.

I don't like to give something just because he has less. Help is needed when resources are not avaible, but there has to be some effort of the (disadvantaged) users.

Unc had won once, we have taken him into concideration because we noticed he cares. You will see that most of his post aren't very technical, still we noticed him.

That's a pretty communist perspective you have there Idogg.

Back