Thoroughbred out on the 20th of March

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope that the .13 process will cool the CPUs down a bit compared to the current ones...

Please submit your substantiation

Originally posted by wizard
That is incorrect. The date is not nearly that soon.
Please submit your substantiation.
AMD's own roadmap projected release in the ½ of 2002
'Thoroughbred' AMD Athlon XP
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/specials/2001/reviews/2002.html
Not to be outdone by Intel, AMD will release its 0.13 micron desktop processor, codenamed 'Thoroughbred', in the first half of 2002.

Thoroughbred out on the 20th of March
http://www.theinquirer.net/05030214.htm
WE NOW HAVE confirmation from sources close to AMD's plans that the first Thoroughbred will be released on the 20th of March.

Originally posted by uncleel
That's your substantiation?

that is the "substation" I wished to show you because quite frankly it was the easiest one.

TSMC has not been able to move over to the .13micron production size and that is why the GF4 is .15micron, the ATi R250 is delayed as well as a whole slew of other companies being put on hold.

I spoke with a friend in AMD about this and he assured me that the date is not this month.

(* edited by mod)
please watch your temper

Originally posted by wizard
TSMC has not been able to move over to the .13micron production size and that is why the GF4 is .15micron, the ATi R250 is delayed as well as a whole slew of other companies being put on hold.

I spoke with a friend in AMD about this and he assured me that the date is not this month.
AMD has their own manufacturing plants and are in no way dependant on TSMC...

Furthermore AMD has already displayed their next gen *HAMMER* CPU; it was the first A0 core made on .13 micron so I'm quite sure they already know how to build on .13 micron...

And lastly the Thoroughbred is nothing more than a die shrunken Palomino > Thus it's not a "difficult" switch to make...

Thoroughbred will probably come out of the Dresden, Germany plant. As I stated, AMD's own cpu roadmap projected release in the ½ of 2002.

Having worked for a multinational corporation, the avg. joe employee is the last to know any news. Otherwise the stock I could have purchased!
:D

Thoroughbred 8 Weeks Away?

Ahhh it's refreshing to see that The Inq is now apologizing for the error. Like I said originally the Thoroughbred is still a long ways away. http://www.theinquirer.net/09030201.htm
So all those fools that wasted so much time trying to prove me wrong can........*

(* profanity edited by mod)
Really wizard, don't you think you conduct is unbecoming of a 20 year old man, & a moderator on another forum?!

Thoroughbred - we were wrong ...but also sort of right
http://www.theinquirer.net/09030201.htm

In our original story - AMD Thoroughbred on the 20th of March, we suggested that the next breed of chips might be out very soon but what we did was add one and one, make three, and got our knickers in a good old twist.

In fact, on the 20th of March, many motherboard manufacturers will receive fully working samples of the Thoroughbred - as usual these people are the first to get them so they can make boards that will run properly at release.

Sources a cigarette paper's width away from AMD confirm that's what's happening round about the 20th, and that we won't see fully fledged machines running the Thoroughbred until about eight weeks afterwards.

That chimes with the roadmaps we published in January

Exactly. AMD's own roadmap projected release of Thoroughbred
in the ½ of 2002. We had hoped sooner rather than later.

From www.amd.com :

HANOVER, GERMANY -- March 13, 2002 --At CeBIT, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that it plans to begin shipping AMD Athlon™ XP processors codenamed “Thoroughbred” based on .13 micron technology to customers later this month.

The move to state-of-the-art .13 process technology represents a significant evolution for the AMD Athlon processor family. With this transition, AMD expects its processors to deliver improved performance, lower power and smaller die sizes.

“AMD’s leadership in manufacturing technology and outstanding design capabilities helps ensure that this small die will give us even more advantage in the future,” said Bill Siegle, senior vice president and chief scientist, Technology Operations, AMD. “Our outstanding Fab 30 team in Dresden is already approaching mature yields for the 80mm2 ‘Thoroughbred’ die.”

On .13 micron technology, the “Thoroughbred” core of the AMD Athlon XP processor is approximately 38 percent smaller than the current AMD Athlon XP processor on .18 process technology.

“Our closest competitor’s most recently announced processor on .13 micron technology is nearly 83 percent larger than AMD’s .13 process solution,” Siegle said. “Moving to .13 micron technology will enable us to produce higher-performing products while lowering costs, putting us in an even stronger competitive position.”

By the end of 2002, AMD expects that all of the AMD Athlon processor family will be produced on .13 micron technology. AMD also expects to begin shipping its next-generation processor codenamed “Hammer,” which uses a silicon-on-insulator (SOI) version of the .13 micron technology, at the end of the year.

This seems to be confirmation of the release date.

Also from www.amd.com :

Forward-looking statements are generally preceded by words such as “plans,” “expects,” “believes,” “anticipates” or “intends”. Investors are cautioned that all forward-looking statements in this release involve risks and uncertainty that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations.

Processor-Roadmap-12-12-01.gif

1st half of 2002 (jan, feb, march, april, may, june)....

Thamk you Arris :grinthumb
Originally posted by uncleel
Thoroughbred will probably come out of the Dresden, Germany plant. As I stated, AMD's own cpu roadmap projected release in the ½ of 2002.

Cnet's article about Intel and the 90nanometer process...
From Cnet.com :

The 130-nanometer chips began to arrive commercially in the middle of 2001; 90-nanometer chips are expected to hit shelves next summer. Proof-of-concept chips generally come out a year or so before actual commercial production.

I know they have some experimental 0.90 memory but it sounds like its going to be the middle of 2003 before we see any intel processors at this scale.

I am waiting very anxiously for the new processor. Currently, I am projecting having one in my new machine. If they take a while to ramp up production, I may have to go with the XP 1800 or 1900.

Crossing my fingers.

It says AMD was showcasing a 2800+ CPU, does anyone know at what speed that CPU is running ? I'm guessing 2.2 GHZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back