AMD K8 Hammer vs. Intel McKinley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

I've been wondering about the clash of the 64-bit CPU's for a while. Which one's going to be better? I know the McKinley is going to have a whopping 3MB of onboard cache memory (L1, L2, AND L3) and the 1GHz version will cost (also whopping) around $4,220!! They're also gonna use a new 870 chipset. But what about the K8? Anyone know anything about that? Cache size? Price? Chipset? Also which one's better :p I'll keep my eye out for them, I'm really interested...

All I know is Intel seems to be feeling pressure from the Hammer so they have a backup plan in case the McKinley flops.

They have a x86-64 compatible technology that they might incorporate in newer CPUs if the Hammer is a big success.

I've red a few articles about the specificatiosn for the Hammer, etc...

I'll try to post them later on...

I heard about Intel's back-up plan as well. Of course, they wouldn't be very bright to throw all their eggs into one basket. Intel has done weird things in the past, and made some weird agreements (RAMBUS) as well.

The best part of the Hammer line is that we won't have to abandon our good old 32 bit software.

Not to complain, but instead of starting a new thread, why don't you read the other hammer treads that are going on.

As for which is better, AMD, they will put out a better CPU for far less than $4000+. You could build 3 killer rig's for that !!

I really haven't been reading up on the battle between AMD + Intel.
Do you have any links to some good sites so I can read up on it?

:grinthumb

Thanks a bunch.

Originally posted by XYZ359
I really haven't been reading up on the battle between AMD + Intel.
Do you have any links to some good sites so I can read up on it?

:grinthumb

Thanks a bunch.

Read thru and search the forums, I and others have posted several articles and links to hammer info. :)

Like the Mod's say, the search is your friend. ;)

Ahhh yes...the old "the search feature is your friend" line. I love it!!!

We should start up a thread on the most frequent and beloved saying of our mods!

Uncleel is the main culprit of the "the search feature is your friend" line, although the vast majority of the time he has a great point. And he knows he has many people's respect in this forum, so it is wise to listen when he talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back