Drive image access denied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I'm using Drive Image 2002 and I recently made a backup of my Windows XP system partition.

.. But, when I went to access it using the PQ image explorer, it gave me, "access denied". In fact, everything does. My account is an administration account, but I cannot access it. I even tried the default admin account and safemode.. Same deal though.

Is it supposed to do this?

I want to be able to access my image (At least READ from it!) I've made to make sure it even works. I don't like having a 40gb glob of data stuck in limbo on my backup drive. If I do choose to delete it at some time, it would be nice to know I have a way of doing that. :eek:

I was able to delete the image, but only by a total fluke. I decided to remake the image (replacing the old one), and my system restarted to begin the image copying.. It got around 50% and said, "File not found". Then the image was deleted. I was forced to restart again and when I booted back into Window, it is now gone.

I'm at an unusual disadvantage right now, as I do not have a floppy drive to boot into anything outside of Windows XP. I suppose if I had the PQ recovery disk, I'd probably be able to delete the file.

What do you suppose would cause this to happen though? If "Verify Contents" is turned on, it will not make the image. I've chkdsked these disks to death and there are no problems with either of them. My hard disk work fine for everything else but making an image.

possible solutions for the "access denied" problem on .PQI files

Hey guys,
It's been 2 years since Rick asked this question, but what a pitty (!), there had been no respond !!!:( How sad it is !
Now, I face that problem too. I've found my question on this forum, but there was no answer ! So, I must solve it myself.

Maybe, it is too long after Rick asked, but I still wanna post the answer here (at least for other "victims") as a reference (in my case, the problem is solved by the following 1st solution):

1) Maybe the problem is caused by Windows' sercurity settings
==> Reboot in SAFE-MODE, and try to change the SERCURITY SETTING of the .qpi files (to pend accessing right of your user/group). See http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3541.html

2) Maybe the problem is caused by the incompatibility between Drive Image and NTFS partitions
==> Run Check-disk (CHKDSK /F) on the NTFS partition, and then try to access the .qpi files again. See http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3534.html

*) If you are still in problem, try asking Symantec about Drive Image at https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/dimage/dimage_2002_tasks.html

Good luck !;)

Although Drive image 2002 works on Win 2k /XP it was not designed for them.
Drive Image 7 works very well.
One word of Caution ,I do not know if the Symantec changes to ver 7.3+ is as good .But I have seen old PowerQuest versions 7.1 at Ebay.

you should always run a chkdsk before and after using drive image, both on the source and target partitions.

Power Quest 2002 NTFS

Hi i to have this problem with 2002 version. I have installed syms version 9 but i dont like the fact that you need the cd rom in to boot up
unlike version 2002 which is simple and to the point
I have a SATA drive 160gig
what i did to resolve this was
10gig for MASTER C (NTFS)
140 somthing for DATA D (NTFS)
and then made another partion for my backup around 2 to 3 gig as a FAT32 then just name the new partion BACKUP (DRIVE Z)FAT32
If anybody has resovled this let me know.
Or how do you Reboot in SAFE-MODE, and try to change the SERCURITY SETTING of the .qpi files (to pend accessing right of your user/group)

GIGABYTE GA7N400 PRO
AMD 3200XP+ 400fsb
KINGSTON DUAL MEMORY 512 400fsb
GeForce FX5200 128
MAXTOR 160GIG SATA DRIVE
THERMALTAKE WATER COOLING
THERMALTAKE Xaser III TOWER
PIONEER A05 AND A07
WINXP SP2
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal V50.142

many thanks DEDGE

It's been 2 years since Rick asked this question, but what a pitty (!), there had been no respond !!!:( How sad it is !
Now, I face that problem too. I've found my question on this forum, but there was no answer ! So, I must solve it myself.

Maybe, it is too long after Rick asked, but I still wanna post the answer here (at least for other "victims") as a reference (in my case, the problem is solved by the following 1st solution):

1) Maybe the problem is caused by Windows' sercurity settings
==> Reboot in SAFE-MODE, and try to change the SERCURITY SETTING of the .qpi files (to pend accessing right of your user/group). See http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3541.html

2) Maybe the problem is caused by the incompatibility between Drive Image and NTFS partitions
==> Run Check-disk (CHKDSK /F) on the NTFS partition, and then try to access the .qpi files again. See http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id3534.html

*) If you are still in problem, try asking Symantec about Drive Image at https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/dimage/dimage_2002_tasks.html

Good luck !;)[/QUOTE]

drive image floppy backup no access from xp sp2

I've been useing drive image from floppy disks for many years,
also for backing up NTFS partitions, and especially the C:
partition, as you can not use DI 7 for XP for that. If you do
(v2i) the drive will not be bootable after restore. The only
thing you can use DI 7 for is to browse the image or backup
other partitions than the one currently booted. ... This has
never ever been a problem before,.. until NOW 2007 ! on my
new XP SP2 machine with 500Gig disc. .... I first thought this
was a user/owner issue, but found no such options for my
XP files (maybe because it's only the Admin user on it). ...
In the end I decided to partiton my backup partition with
FAT32 :) ... That solved the problem. Now I can use the
floppies to make the backup and PQ DI 7 to browse/verify
it.

It might be time to try another product.. I highly recommend Acronis True Image, It supports/creates bootable cd's, will backup and restore over a network, to CD's, DVD's, to another HD. You can download a free trial version at acronis.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back