dos games

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok 2 bits of help PLEASE

1. (i am running windows ME so i cant get into pure DOS.) The graphics of dos games like Warcraft 2 and imperium galactica are completley messed up and all i get are thousands of lines across the screen and distortion - what do i do to sort this out?

2. how do i emulate an early soundblaster using my soundblaster audigy

many thanks to any help or suggestions from anyone....

sorry i havent a clue...
i have sorted out the first bit though i rather not have to replace my display drivers EVERY time i want a game

can i do the same thing as above but for soundcard drivers with the audigy?? ie replace the audigy drivers with soundblaster 1 drivers? is this possible after the introduction of E-MU technology into the card

The secret to running DOS games

Win/Me is a bad choice for anyone playing DOS games, & older games & programs that require strict DOS mode won't run at all!
Me can run DOS programs inside a window called "virtual DOS mode," but many DOS games & programs refuse to run.

http://www.classic-trash.com/faq/memory.php

The secret to running DOS games in both pure DOS and Windows is a program called EMM386.EXE. This is loaded through your config.sys file and not only allows extended memory to simulate expanded memory but also loads small programs such as mouse drivers into UMB's (upper memory blocks) to provide more room for important stuff like games.

For Windows Millennium users the situation is different. You can either try tweaking the options of the EXE/COM file or make a startup disk. I recommend attempting the try the former first, then the latter. To change the options of an EXE or COM file.

You can't simply install Soudblaster 16 drivers & make it work. When the SoundBlaster Live cards came out (maybe before I'm not sure), they came out with Legacy Drivers which would emulate a SB16 with IRQ & DMA ( It actually took the IRQ making it unavailable for other devices :( ), etc...

When you launched a Sound card detection from a game setup (I'm thinking about Duke3D here ;) ), it would detect a SB16 on IRQ5, DMA 3 while actually using your SBLive.

Look around on the CD that came with your soundcard & see if you can find anything...

Originally posted by Didou
When the SoundBlaster Live cards came out (maybe before I'm not sure), they came out with Legacy Drivers which would emulate a SB16 with IRQ & DMA

You're basically right except that I don't believe its the drivers (software) that emulate SB16, its the hardware.

Just adding that DOS drivers were in Live!Ware 1.0 but they were removed from later versions. I have SB Live! Value, not Audigy, though.

SBAudigy dos support in windows Me

Here's what I did in order to play old dos games like Nukem, Doom2, and others with my SB Audigy gamer in windows millenium....I copied the folder called DosDrv from my audigy installation CD onto my hard drive. Then I deleted the file called CheckOS.exe. Then I ran the setup and it ran perfectly for me. It detected the hardware and set up the IRQ's and DMA's. Good luck :)

sorted!

cheers ravellidar! its all working now *except that i have to swap my gfx drivers and restart my computer every time i play a dos game* but who cares?

Well... i own every dos game ever made, every lucasarts game, every sierra game, everygame...
95% of them i can play cuz i have 98se and can use dos, but others have problems like i haven't enough mem, no sound and stuff like that (Sb Live! 5.1 comes with sb16 emu drivers for older games)

VESA doesn't work in Windows, but I'm not too sure whether IG or WC2 utilizes it.

You could always get yourself a DOS bootdisk and then run games from there.

Get a DOS bootdisk - even if you can't make one yourself, there are plenty of places u can download one.

Bootdisk.com springs to mind ...

VESA doesn't work in Windows, but I'm not too sure whether IG or WC2 utilizes it.

VESA does work in Windows, although it depens on the video BIOS and the game itself.

Anything that is over 320x400x256 or 640x480x16 is SVGA and unless

the game makers were really ignorant, the SVGA modes are accessed via VESA standard interface.

Why are you playing dos games?I think win games are more interesting & have a very good grafix.

Games aren't about fancy graphics and sound.
If I were to make a list of best computer games, more than a half of them would be for DOS, many of them would have EGA, CGA or no graphics at all.

I still play Civilization, Panzer General, Genghis Khan 2.
Out of This World, original Mokey Island and QFG were awesome.
I just finished Abuse.
Sopwith is a kickass flight simulator.
Elite 2 is a cool space simulator.
I still have to play a lot of DOS adventure games.
Electronic Popple is the most popular muliplayer game on my computer right now.
IMHO Dune 2 is better that many modern RTS are.

I think many people can add to this list those that I can't remember right now and also some I don't even know about (this is not a "what's your favourite DOS game" suggestion :) )

I agree....

Some of the best games have simple graphics and sound.

Dune 2, as mentioned, was a classic that spawned the RTS genre.

Doom, again, was where it all started FPS wise.

Of course there are some great graphical and sound experiences that are very immersive and very cool; methinks of Half Life, and 2 friends staying over to watch me play it, much like watching a film!

But to say that great graphics MAKES a game is nonsense. Its about playability, addictability and endurability. Its about true cunning and genius on the part of the developers.

Im back to this again! I decided i would try Sam and max again on me WinME. Because i dont have a win98 botdisk or DOSDrv from an originnal Creative SB cd can u guys help? The newest SB drivers have Emulation drivers in System properties though Sam and Max dosnt detect it Doh !. Ideas?

Is there a sound setup utility in Sam & Max? From system properties, you see the address of the emulated card, the DMA and IRQ value. You must set these values right.
There is also an environment varaible called BLASTER, that contains this info, it should be set.

Can you get support from the game company? Maybe there are some patches?

There Is no Help Patchs that i can find form LucasArts and this game ISNT support by WinME as True DOS mode isnt support by WINME.

You can get into true dos, if you format a diskette and say that it will be a bootable floppy.

So? Doesn't it like protected mode?

If you're not too picky, you can download a DOS 6.22 boot disk image and use that one then.

If you haven't run the game setup then the sound won't work for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back