Socket A on future Athlon processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svoboda

I was wondering if future athlon procs, like the "Sledgehammer" and "Clawhammer" were going to be Socket A, also does anyone know when they are coming out?

Thanks, -Bourbon

The *hammers are based on a 64bit/32bit architechture so I would think a new platform would be needed to take advantage of the 64bit chip...

Sledgehammer and Clawhammer are one in the same. (Or are they?) I know for a fact that these will not use Socket A for the simple reason they use 64-bit architectures. As for when they're coming out, It'd be safe to say 3rd-4th quarter 2002.

I'm not sure the Hammer is gonna need a different socket, the AMD roadmaps brag a lot about the fact that it doesn't change the socket with every processor change (I'm sure they weren't thinking of Intel when saying that ;) ).

With all the functionality of the northbridge, apart from AGP, being moved to on-die I don't think that the hammers will be on socketA. I would be very surprised if they were.

The *HAMMER* range of CPU's will use a new socket...

Though the die shrunken Palomino CPU code-named Thoroughbred (.13 micron core) will still use Socket A...

Atleast that's why I have heard...

I would think it would have to have a new socket. It will have double the address/data lines to access. I wonder if they will be able to even use a 4 layer M/B. They may be able to use the same memory but might have to use pairs like the older motherboards that used to use bank simms untill they make different meory modules. Just guessing, can't wait to see the first M/B's for them. These should be some very fast systems

Actually I contacted AMD a couple of months ago about this, and they said it is possible but not confirmed. Maybe Socket A will be kept at the start and then phased out?

First viewing of Hammer CPUS at Intel Developer Forum

From www.anandtech.com :

By far the most interesting thing about the CPUs from a physical standpoint is their pincount. The ClawHammer has 754 pins (up from 462 on the Athlon and even up from 603 on the Xeon) and the Sledgehammer has a whopping 940 pins which is just over twice as many as the current generation Athlon.

The AMD reference board goes by the name Solo, and is a pretty standard ATX motherboard. There is a single 754-pin Socket on the board for a ClawHammer CPU and it introduces what will most likely become the new (or something very similar to it) retention mechanism for AMD's Hammer line of CPUs.

I think we can safely say that the Hammers won't be making use of Socket A motherboards...

w00t this is a very old thread. I remember discussions with my friends about the 64 bit future. (And still we are waiting a true 64 bit OS from ol' Bill) Yup. The good ol days of Socket A. Simple days when AGP was cool and you would be burned alive for speaking about something called PCI-Express replacing AGP. Haha. Yup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back