• Direct3D

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • OpenGL

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

I just installed OpenGL off glsetup, because I newly formatted my hard drive and installed all of my games. Tribes 2 can run in either D3D or OpenGL, and I was wondering which was superior. I have the new drivers for my video card, I got them about 2 days ago. I can test this myself if there's a console command in T2 to show FPS, if anyone knows it that'd be peachy :D

Well, both. Does one shine in quality and the other in performance? I don't really mind the graphics, (and I am playing Tribes 2, so it already looks good :D) I would much rather have blocky characters than a choppy framerate.

i'd like ta know which is better, too.....

i dont really know about these two, but i thought it depends on yer vid card, drivers, and program yer running.....

Originally posted by Whack0
i thought it depends on yer vid card, drivers, and program yer running.....

This is partially true. But as far as everything that I have tried on my box, D3D works far better than OGL. I have a Radeon ATI All-in-Wonder. So I would have to say D3D, but that is just from my opinion on things that I have done. Others might not agree, but... you never know.

yeh, i picked d3d also.... i felt that it ran better using my radeon too...

just curious, does d3d have anything to do with directx?

Originally posted by Whack0
yeh, i picked d3d also.... i felt that it ran better using my radeon too...

just curious, does d3d have anything to do with directx?

Direct3D is part of the Direct X "package" I suppose... DirectSound.. DirectInput.. DirectTV.. (Okay, maybe not the last one).

Really though, DirectX is a Microsoft-designed interface that allows game programmers to access hardware on the computer for just about everything necessary to make a game. OpenGL is soley for graphics and is generally accepted as the "standard" for cross-platform use. You'll find OpenGL in use on everything from Linux boxes to SGI workstations.

As far as which runs better, I've always had better luck with OpenGL in Windows 2000. Either one appears to run fine in XP though. It really depends on what version of DirectX the game is using, how it is being used, how your card handles it and the platform it is being run on.

I remember back before the 6.0 days of DirectX, OpenGL was the undisputed king on my older rig. It would seem that the newer versions of DirectX 3D may offer some advantages over OpenGL in modern games.

I have no benchmarks to prove it, but DirectX does seem to work better. I've had fewer problems with Direct3D than I have had with OpenGL as of late.

Tribes 2 is a special case. It's based off the LithTech Engine which was programmed with 3D3 in mind. I didn't think it had OGL support. Most Quake Engines work much better with OGL & the serious engine too.

Originally posted by Rick
Direct3D is part of the Direct X "package" I suppose... DirectSound.. DirectInput.. DirectTV.. (Okay, maybe not the last one).
:haha: Give it time.... eventually it will be :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back