Win2k rebooting loop prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raz

Hi

my mate's pc was working fine until 2day. everytime u boot up it gets to the login screen then reboots in a loop.

sys:
p3 700
Win2k pro
128mb

any one have any suggestions? many thanks!

Raz

Cold boot startup syndrome?

Cold boot startup syndrome? Goes to black screen & reboots?
Nobody has been able to put there finger on the exact cause but I've read it could be overheating cpu or underpowered psu, causing problems @ startup.

Maybe

the power supply should be fine, its a 300w, but it could be overheating although he has never had any problem with that aspect before. I dont recall a black screen, just booting normally until it gets to the login screen then straight to reboot.

thanks for the reply

Raz

Faulty Hardware?

I don't know if it would be overheating on just a boot up, unless the processor fan is fried :dead:
What I would check, until you get a better suggestion, is to remove all unnessary PCI cards and disconnect everything except floppy, keyboard, mouse, graphics card, and monitor. See if it powers up then. If it does connect 1 component at a time until it fails. This will also ensure that the cards are seated properly. If a component fails remove the last component, the one before the one that caused failure, while keeping the one that caused failure in. If it reboots then it could be power supply. If not then its possibly the card. See if you can check it in another computer.

-SNGX1275

I've experienced a similar problem. Mine was that somehow the winlogon.exe got corrupted, so Windows started, then at login screen died.

I manage to solve this by booting from DOS and copy origianl winlogon.exe (in %windir%\system32).

Thanks

ok, thanks for the replies. Not sure when i can check the pc as my mate isn't that 'technical'. I think it may be corruption but with pcs ya never know!

Raz

strange

As strange as it is, my mates pc is working fine now - kinda. Basically his bro installed a game that came with a cereal (!) and now the PC boots fine IF the cd is in the drive....

ah well

Raz

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" - Darth Mordread.

Originally posted by Raz
As strange as it is, my mates pc is working fine now - kinda. Basically his bro installed a game that came with a cereal (!) and now the PC boots fine IF the cd is in the drive....

ah well

Raz

EH!?!??!!?

I'd uninstall that game, PDQ.

(PDQ = Pretty Damn Quick.)

The machine only boots up properly with the free game that came with a packet of cereal??!?!

That sounds a little (corn) flakey....

SNAP, CRACKLE, POP!

Raz,

Did you by chance recently install a service pack perhaps? I installed SP3 for Win2K Pro here at work on about 6 computers and all of them would not stop rebooting as soon as they reached the log on screen. Also, now it seems that we are having the same problem with SP4. However, it only seems to effect certain computers. As far as I can tell, there is no real common thread between the computers that have the problem (although, it seems that Dell's and older Compaq's do it alot). We just installed SP4 last week and we had around 20 computers out of 170 that would not stop rebooting. I thought I had the problem fixed by basically creating a new image and installing SP4 first before anything else. It seemed to work until about an hour ago. I had loaded up all of our apps that we use on a computer and was getting ready to run Sysprep. I restarted the machine just to clear anything out of the memory that my cause problems, only it would not stop rebooting! And this was probably an hour or 2 after I installed SP4. If you or anyone else has figrued out how to fix this, please let me know as I have no real idea.

Thanx

P.S. I am new here, but the site looks pretty good!

Its been a loooong time, but the problem was sorted. Probably file corruption or hardware fault as it kept happening even after we re-installed windows!

Hope u sort out your problem, dont M$ have anything in their knowledge base (since u think its to do with the SPs). I'll have a look anyway.......

Raz

that was bloody awful P66 :)

altho

"That sounds a little (corn) flakey.... " redeemed u ;) i did chuckle at that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back