Trouble installing XP home edition with full format

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum_dragon

I currently have Windows ME. I want to install Windows XP with a fresh install, fully formatting all other info/folders before it installs. But when I select this option booting up from the CD, it asks to read a valid Windows 98/ME in the CD-ROM drive. Well I do not have such a CD. Instead, Alienware sent a recovery CD that has ME on it. The product for this ME recovery CD is on the back of the PC. But CD boot up XP home edition for full format does not recognize the recovery CD as a valid disk. Nor does it give an option in asking for the product key. Thus the only way I can install XP is if I do not reformat. I want to reformat because there are lots of junk files in the program file folder. I'm not sure what's safe to delete.

I want a true clean install, not a slap-on-top install. :rolleyes:

Another option is to wait for my new ME recovery CD to arrive. Yep, new recovery CD. Because when I use the recovery CD to go through the full format process, then install ME cleanly, it will not comply. The CD is flawed somewhere. But when I do get my new recovery CD, I can reformat and install ME cleanly, and then upgrade to XP immediately after (inwhich then I will save a restore point here). Never-the-less, I still am hoping there is the option of installing XP with full format, with not having to read from a Windows 98/ME disk.

I want to do this clean out before I install the new slave drive. Since I have to transfer a lot of stuff, mainly games, I might as well do a full reformat for a healthy cleansing. And it's something I usually do every year anyways.

If you want to do a clean install, you can just do the format yourself. Run 'format c:' in DOS prompt or, if you want to do a _really_ clean install, run 'fdisk' and delete your Windows 98 partition.

Are you positive that that is the Windows XP for computers without an operating system? It may be the upgrade...If not...boot using a windows boot disk, go into fdisk, delete the partition, make the partition again, and then do format C: to totally erase the hard drive. Make sure that it is the WinXP Full disc not the upgrade though....

I think you have the upgrade version of XP and you need the Full version to do a clean install. Even a full version disc of 98 or me would probably help. You just need a valid copy so the install can validate it and continue.

Your other option is to call Alienware and order XP from them, most companies will sell you an upgrade on a Recovery disc of course.

I'm not aware of any other way to do it but if there is a way, I'd like to know.

I don't want to start a rant here, but recovery discs are one of the major causes of violence in today's society.

Yep, it's the full install.

I'd be wary of the problems that can exist from upgrading. I've had nothing but good experiences when upgrading computers from 98/Me to XP, but there's a lot that can go wrong. Just be prepared for everything and backup your important stuff (if you are able to).

http://search.support.microsoft.com can answer any further questions you have and you can search for potential problems when upgrading.

You do NOT NEED TO REFORMAT to install WINDOWS XP.

During the inital setup, it will promt for a reformat for you.

Just boot from the WIN XP CD, then in the startup process select reformat using FAT 32

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back