Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

Got News? > Advertisers taking over browsers
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1084
Phantasm66
Pop-Ups are the Spawn of Hades :evil:
Originally posted by uncleel
This is the lastest gimmick because revenue has fallen from the traditional banner ads. Guess they took a page out of AOL's playbook, which makes you click No Thanks, get outta my face ½ a dozen times just to get to the browser.

You can fight back by clicking on our sponsors "traditional" ads, & never click on a pop-up

It's so bad now that my host file isn't even working from all the new additions. You might want to try the free version of Pop-Up Stopper www.panicware.com but it also prevents opening multiple browser windows. So I find I deactivate it quite often. Here's the traditional Host File http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

p.s. This lil' free program, Pop-Up Stopper, seems to be ok. www.panicware.com

Monday, April 8 2002 News
Pop-up downloads? Be sure not to accept these!
by Julio @ 2:23 PM - [Comments] www.3dspotlight.com
Believe me this is the exact kind of advertisements no one wants to see. A couple of weeks ago this pop-download happened to me, some site called lop.com infiltrated on my browser when I accidentally clicked yes on one of these pop-ads, believe me this is pure crap!

Web surfers who thought online advertisements were becoming increasing obtrusive may be dismayed about a new tactic: pop-up downloads. In recent weeks, some software makers have enlisted Web site operators to entice their visitors to download software rather than simply to view some advertising. For example, when visiting a site a person may receive a pop-up box that appears as a security warning with the message: "Do you accept this download?" If the consumer clicks "Yes," an application is automatically installed.

Computer security expert Richard Smith explained that with such downloads, "You don't even know why you're getting this program, and the people who do (pop-up downloads) are relying on the fact that people tend to say Yes."

That pop-up download site, lop.com was complete hell! If I mistyped a website, it would take me to their site and install all that stuff onto my computer again. I found the solution at the lop.com site. It was a toolbar uninstaller. Use that to get rid of all remnants of lop.com's indirect trojan program.

I don't know how many people's computer I have worked on that have Gator installed. When I tell them its Spyware, they just shrug and say, yeah but it helps me remember my passwords. YIKES, you mean a simple pen and paper won't do ?

I would like to personnally wring the neck of all webmasters who have so many pop-ups that it causes your system to crash or you can't click them off fast enough.

If you are a Star Trek fan, does the word "Tribble" mean anything to you ? No matter what you do, they just keep multipling !!!!

Originally posted by boeingfixer

If you are a Star Trek fan, does the word "Tribble" mean anything to you ? No matter what you do, they just keep multipling !!!!

Its possible to get into a kind of a loop of them called a "circle jerk" where everytime you close one another 3 or 4 pop up in their place. Eventually, one may have to log out or reboot in order to regain control of the desktop.

I am of the option that these kinds of activities should be made illegal. I've got nothing against the odd flash animation or the occasional bit of shockwave or banner, which when its things basically taking the mouse focus from what I am looking at and moving it onto some crap that I didn't want and am not interested in, its too much.

Internet users need to get together and form a group that protests and tries to get large internet organisations to ban these kinds of activities. Its possible that the internet may be in danger, over time, of turning into one large advert and that will be a very big shame.

I remember the internet before all of this (around 1995, 1996) where these kinds of things just did not happen. There was a lot less content out there but these kinds of nasty tactics did not really exist get as such...... Those were the days.

Sadly I agree with you and also remember the real internet of a few years ago. I just pray it doesn't get to that point. Heck, If it could be controlled I would pay a few dollars more to be pop-up or banner or whatever ad free.

I just wanna ask some of these site owners what the point of the pop-ups is, because I will never go there again if it is that bad. It is quite pointless unless they are making a ton of money and really have no content. Just a pop-up site. I liked V's post of the pointless web site.

Other than popups, the thing that's annoying me in the net is cookies. 99% of sites want to save cookie(s) to my computer. I can understand it under certain places like forums, banks & stores but not much elsewhere. Fortunately this browser remembers when I've said no, right now I've got about a hundred sites that can't set cookies.

Kill the popups!

On a high speed connection, popups are a royal pain in the neck. And I would love to 86 the wonderful people who designed Comet Cursor! They intentionally trick people into downloading it, sometimes without warning. Has anybody else run into CC? Also, I volunteer as a tutor in a local community centre computer program. The kids love to download stuff....Gator, Bonzi Buddy, etc..... Thank God for Adaware! And a note to Uncleel: Popup Stopper is pretty good.

Let our Brother show us the way!

Great story here! Its just sue the SOBs and get rich on them!

Seattle man has telemarketer's number: he gets apology and $500

Tuesday, April 9, 2002

By JANE HADLEY
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER CONSUMER AFFAIRS REPORTER

Ben Schroeter, a Magnolia paralegal and live music Webmaster who hates telemarketing calls, knows that holding companies accountable can be a long, weary struggle.

So he was stunned when his e-mail complaining about an automated message left on his answering machine yielded a $500 check and an apology two weeks later.

"Usually, you have to at least file a suit before they're going to pay up," said Schroeter incredulously.

Under state law, automated dialing and announcing devices that dial a residence and play a recorded message for purposes of a commercial solicitation are illegal. And residents who get such calls are entitled to damages of at least $500 per call. The federal law is similar, said Paula Selis, senior counsel in the state Attorney General's Office.

Selis said she was amazed at the quick response from the company behind the calls, DHS Enterprises of South Euclid, Ohio.

So was Ben Livingston, one of the state's leading battlers against automated dialers, spam and junk faxes.

"I don't think it's ever been that simple (for me)," said Livingston, who says he's collected $2,650 for illegal spam, faxes or automated calls in the past year.

Schroeter's check cleared yesterday.

"Party at my place," he chortled.

The automated call Schroeter got March 15 was on behalf of a Web site, "YourHomeCareer.com," which invites consumers to pay $36 to learn the secret of earning money by working at home. A home page testimonial says that "Anthony P., a former corporate employee, now works from home and earns over $35,000 per month!"

Schroeter, who already works at home and consequently hates telemarketing calls more than the average person, is dubious about the site's promises.

The phone at DHS Enterprises was perpetually busy yesterday, and the company could not be reached.

When the mail carrier delivered the certified mail to Schroeter last week, his first thought was: "Oh my God! This guy's going to sue me now." He hesitated about signing for the letter, but then decided to take the plunge.

Five minutes after seeing the $500 check, Schroeter was heading to the bank to cash it. Then he e-mailed and called family and friends to exult about it. "Woo hoo!" he wrote.

Washington state was one of 21 states that defended the law's constitutionality before the U.S. Supreme Court in a 1993 case. The court upheld it.

"We have not seen an increase (in illegal calls) recently," Selis said. "They come and they go. Washington consumers are remarkably savvy, in that when they do start coming in, we do start getting complaints."The spur for the 1986 law, Selis said, is that in some cases, people could not hang up on the prerecorded messages, which prevented them from making emergency calls or conducting their business.

Schroeter's e-mail message to DHS was short but not especially sweet:

"This email is to notify you that I received an invasive and illegal automated telephone solicitation this afternoon from your company DHS Enterprises, or 'Your Home Careers.' The use of Automatic dialing and announcing devices to Washington State residents is illegal. Your company now owes me $500 by state law. I have preserved the message that was left on my answering machine as proof for the court."

Schroeter included a copy of the law in his e-mail and also included a "cc:" to an assistant attorney general who is a friend of Schroeter's but who has nothing to do with consumer protection or telecommunications.

"My thinking is that when they received this and saw that I had cc'd a real person in the AG's office, they might have thought, 'You know, we really don't need an AG from any state breathing down our necks right now, because we've got these $36 payments coming in."

Schroeter says he got the inspiration to pursue the call from reading about Livingston's successes.

Livingston, vice president of Innovative Access, a Ballard Internet service provider, says that he has won judgments or settlements of more than $9,000 for illegal spam, telemarketing and junk faxes, of which he's succeeded in collecting $2,650.

"My advice would be to take action," he says. "In the case of junk faxes and telemarketing, it's quite possible in the foreseeable future you can cut down on a lot of this stuff. In the longer-term sense, I think it's also true with e-mail spam. If people don't take action, nobody's going to stop doing it."

Livingston's cases are detailed on a Web site http://smallclaim.info which even includes audio recordings of some of his court sessions.

Livingston believes that companies that want to stay in business are more likely to settle or pay up than fly-by-night companies. He has used several collection agencies, but so far without success.

"I filed one case where their lawyer contacted me and said, 'Come down to my office and I'll give you a check.' It's never been so easy as just sending e-mail.

"Yeah, I was pretty impressed by that guy (Schroeter)."

IT'S THE LAW

The law against automated dialing and announcing devices is part of the state's telecommunications law and can be found at RCW 80.36.400.

The law describes an automatic dialing and announcing device as one that automatically dials telephone numbers and plays a recorded message once a connection is made. Making such a call is illegal if it involves commercial solicitation, which is defined as the unsolicited initiation of a telephone conversation for the purpose of encouraging a person to purchase property, goods, or services.

The ban applies to all commercial solicitation intended to be received by telephone customers within the state.

A violation of the law is a violation of the state's Consumer Protection Act.

The law says that "It shall be presumed that damages to the recipient of commercial solicitations made using an automatic dialing and announcing device are five hundred dollars."

source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/65795_collect09.shtml

More and more people in washington state are winning judgements for spam, faxes and phone calls.
I read something a few weeks ago about a guy in SW washington, who has almost 50k in judgements (he collected around $18-19k) over the last 3 years, and has liens aginist, property on several out of state spammers. So you can't make a living at it...yet!
What the US really needs is a federal law on spam, so it's easy to collect from out of state spammers, Then I would become too expensive for them to continue. Seems to be alot of pressure in congress to avoid that, which I don't understand, what legitmate company, wants to so offend the general public with a spam campaign to get the <1% who even look at their product? I avoid buying from companies which support spammers, and have even written a few to let them know I bought the competing product (quaility, function being equal) just because I object to that form of advertizing.

Re: Kill the popups!

Originally posted by Goofy Newfie
I would love to 86 the wonderful people who designed Comet Cursor! They intentionally trick people into downloading it, sometimes without warning. Has anybody else run into CC?
Yes, I have. I removed it from a number of machines when I was working as a sysadmin at school. Quite a nasty little app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back