Graphics card for my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a laptop expert but I don't think it's possiblt to upgrade VGA cards on such a computer. I might be wrong. Check out the HP site & see what you can find out there.

You can check the HP site, but I doubt it will be possible.
That is one of the trade offs of a laptop, very little expandablity.

The only thing I have ever seen before is a "full docking station" that has an internal PCI slot where you can install whatever you want. Gateway used to see it and it was 500.00 for the docking station. Nowadays you can buy a computer for that.

Checkout HP's site and look around for a used one on the net.

If I remember correctly, Dell actually provides upgrade for their notebooks. From some vid card to the GeForce mobile. Not sure if HP notebooks are built the same way or not.

Originally posted by lokem
If I remember correctly, Dell actually provides upgrade for their notebooks. From some vid card to the GeForce mobile. Not sure if HP notebooks are built the same way or not.

Dell just has different configs. If you order one with 64mb video, Dell just grabs the 64mb chassis version of the laptop you ordered configures the rest of it and ships it out to you.

Yeah thats the down fall for portability. If we could come up with miniature componants and laptops you could actually expand or upgrade, we could make a fortune. I have always wondered about that. Want a faster or better graphics card, just unplug and upgrade....man that would be sweet !!

Why dont you talk to your board members over at your startup company, boeing..They will receptive..

Originally posted by svtcobra Dell just has different configs. If you order one with 64mb video, Dell just grabs the 64mb chassis version of the laptop you ordered configures the rest of it and ships it out to you.

It's not like that. It's upgrading from an ATI chip to an nVidia chip.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Why dont you talk to your board members over at your startup company, boeing..They will receptive..

Thanks for the GREAT advice SVT, and when we get started, all 3DS staff will receive all the hardware we make....FREEEEE. ;)

Originally posted by lokem

It's not like that. It's upgrading from an ATI chip to an nVidia chip.

The graphics chipsets in the new dells are on small daughter boards and can be switched over. I think this is just at the time of purchase but I don't think there would be a problem changing the card over at a later date if you could get your hands on an improved card. www.tomshardware.com did a comparison of ATI and Nvidia graphics modules in this article in the Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop. ;)

Arris is right, the graphics chips in newer laptops are on MicroAGP cards AFAIK, and so it should be easy to change them over, if you could get hold of one in the first place.:)

Vid upgrade

I have a dell that is about 2 years old and I bought a dock station off of ebay for about $50 it has 2 pci slots and built in ethernet also has 2 usb and all the other ports and a drive slot in it for your cd or floppy. I think HP makes a doc station you may want to check out ebay.
I got a cheap mx400 with 64meg mem for it and an old mx400 sound card both work fine.
Rhett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back