Installing new Detonator drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while and I thought it's time to join in.

Last week I got a new PC and checked the drivers which came installed. As I suspected the graphic card drivers were old. So I installed the new drivers (manually, i.e first unzipped the files into a folder) from the drivers CD which came with the system.

But I didn't uninstall the old drivers. However, the system is showing me now the new driver versions.

As from the various posts I read here, some say it's no problem if you don't uninstall the old drivers, and others say there's no way you can have a healthy install without uninstalling the old drivers.

My PC is working fine now. No problems till yet.

But was I suppose to uninstall the previous drivers prior to install the new ones ?

TIA

Deckard

System

P IV 2.0Ghz
Geforce2 MX400 - 64MB
Windows XP - Home Edition

I'd say that as long as there are no problems, it doesn't matter. Newer drivers overwrite the old files and the installer deletes old registry keys and writes new ones there. Sometimes, though, something may slip through.

I only recommend uninstalling and the use of detonator-destroyer as I have had trouble with previous detonators when I have simply upgraded them...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

One thing, what set of drivers were installed and what set was on the cd? I find it odd that a manufacturer would load one set of drivers and then give you a different set as a backup. There is a possibility that you just reinstalled the same drivers.

Well, its up to you if you want to start tinkering around with your new toy. Nvidia provides a plethora of drivers for users and they usually provide a preformance gain.

You can check out www.guru3d.com for an updated driver set for your card. Seems like everyone is using the new 27.42 set of drivers. Take caution though, these drivers are beta and may not be 100% perfect. XP does have that great driver rollback option so there isnt to much risk anyways..

One last thing, if you decide to update your drivers, remove the old ones through add/remove programs, reboot and then install the new ones. Reboot and you should be all set. Post back here with any questions.

Hi svtcobra,

First of all, thanks for the quick replies.

Well, it's not the first time that I'm experiencing this :)

The system came with the 1.4.62 drivers. The drivers on the CD have the Version 2.1.83.

As I said, the system is working fine.

Thanks again.

Deckard

Stick with the 2183's if everything is working fine. They must have installed detonator 3's when they did the install but then they packaged detonator 4's. Thats cool...The drivers you have installed are the original detonator 4's. They have been improved on greatly since then, but its up to you..If its working then there may be no need to tinker..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back